Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted HQ-Z Sandman

Learner Driver

Wanted HQ-Z Sandman

Hi all,

In about a month's time, I will be looking to purchase a project HQ-Z Sandman ute or van up around the $10k mark. If I'm allowed to be picky I would prefer one with its original engine, chassis and tags with bonus points for a HQ and/or L31. I don't mind if it's incomplete or not running as long as it rolls and the body (I don't care about bolt on panels) isn't too rusty. If you have or know of someone with something that I may be interested in then please contact me at 72kingswood@gmail.com. I'm in Brisbane but will travel for the right car.

Sandman Guru
    Mate, i'd go and look at car ID 8839696 on carsales. It is a metallic 1974 L31 M21 van. He is saying it isn't a Sandman gut geez, i'd be very surprised if it isn't.

20k is what i want..double what you want to spend but its all there and has 10 years worth of new old stock collecting to go with it...fun stuff like nos column complete and nos gts wiring harness and nos clutch linkages complete...lots of unobtanium that has taken me a lot of time and money to find..when restored this is the sales brochure car...and it is windowless...
    Last edited by ozbox; 25-11-2010 at 04:58 PM.

P Plater
    Quote Originally Posted by 72kingswood View Post
    Hi all,

In about a month's time, I will be looking to purchase a project HQ-Z Sandman ute or van up around the $10k mark. If I'm allowed to be picky I would prefer one with its original engine, chassis and tags with bonus points for a HQ and/or L31. I don't mind if it's incomplete or not running as long as it rolls and the body (I don't care about bolt on panels) isn't too rusty. If you have or know of someone with something that I may be interested in then please contact me at 72kingswood@gmail.com. I'm in Brisbane but will travel for the right car.
    T-Dog will email you Cheers

Learner Driver
    Whoa thanks for the fast replies guys.

HK1837: Yeah, it does appear to tick most of the boxes but the last letter in the trim code is hard to make out and I'm not sure about the dash. I don't know why someone would remove a GTS dash and put a standard one in but I have seen weirder things. I will contact him thanks.

ozbox: It's more than what I wanted to spend but any chance of sending some photos to 72kingswood@gmail.com?

T-Dog: I've received and replied to your email.

Sandman Guru
    39B trim. I've had it recorded for a while. Easy solution on the GTS dash. It went with the GTS guards onto something else. You could only order metallic on a Belmont in HQ if it was a Sandman, and so far only Brisbane plant has been proven to break that rule. There is one surefire way to tell but you'll have to look at the van in person.

Learner Driver
    Ahh thanks. Yeah true enough. What way would that be?

Quote Originally Posted by 72kingswood View Post
    I don't know why someone would remove a GTS dash and put a standard one in but I have seen weirder things.

ozbox: It's more than what I wanted to spend
    i would not be pondering the mystery of a dash in a van...:errf:

when i bought my hq sandman in 2000 it was a rolling bare shell with 2 doors and 2 gaurds and a set of tags that had never been tampered with..it had been sitting in a lean to out west around orange somewhere...it was absolutely stripped bare except for its original gaurds and doors..no glass no wiring no fuel tank no frigin nothing..
    everyone thought i was mad for paying 2k for it,which in the year 2000 it was worth nothing as vans werent exciting..
    i have spent 10 years peicing this van together including its date coded recoed 308 and the hardest to obtain peices of new old stock in australia as i have had to battle with gts owners to obtain unobtanium..not cheap to do..pictures are not what you need if you are serious about buying the rarest of all sandmans ever built...
    picture collectors ask for pics and buyers get on the phone and speak about things before asking for pics.

Learner Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by ozbox View Post
    i would not be pondering the mystery of a dash in a van...:errf:

when i bought my hq sandman in 2000 it was a rolling bare shell with 2 doors and 2 gaurds and a set of tags that had never been tampered with..it had been sitting in a lean to out west around orange somewhere...it was absolutely stripped bare except for its original gaurds and doors..no glass no wiring no fuel tank no frigin nothing..
    everyone thought i was mad for paying 2k for it,which in the year 2000 it was worth nothing as vans werent exciting..
    i have spent 10 years peicing this van together including its date coded recoed 308 and the hardest to obtain peices of new old stock in australia as i have had to battle with gts owners to obtain unobtanium..not cheap to do..pictures are not what you need if you are serious about buying the rarest of all sandmans ever built...
    picture collectors ask for pics and buyers get on the phone and speak about things before asking for pics.
    Fair enough. I'm not ready to buy for about a month so I just wanted a rough idea of its condition before I pestered you for too many details.

Sandman Guru
    I would love to have Greg's XX7 if it was a ute! A 308 4spd HQ XX7 in yellow is a pretty desirable thing, and vans seem to be more valuable than utes although the utes are heaps rarer today. I don't think there would be a more valuable combination out there. Rarest would probably be a HQ Belmont XX7 ute in 173 auto, but who the hell would want that?!
    In all honesty, if you paid $10k for a complete but some rust Sandman that needed a full resto. Then you looked at Greg's for $20k. I betcha that upon completing the resto, you'd spend the $10k or more extra in bodywork on the cheaper one. With Greg's you get straight panels and a near rust free straight body.

Thread Information