Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HZ Sandman Valencia Orange

Learner Driver
    Hi Ian,

Do ya have any under bonnet shots you could post??

Phil

The engine bay is not done yet. Have had the engine all restored but need to tidy up the engine bay. This has to wait until we have a garage at home.

Question for Absinth:

I was browsing the internet as per usual on the sandman hunt and went back to have a look at the ute in the Echuca Holden museum. He states it is an absolute original yet it has the same console minus the coin slots. Is it possible that early HZ models had that console insert and later models had the coin slots or do you think it has been refurbished and the interior is not as original as stated?

Hi Ian,

In all honesty how could anyone make the statement that their 40yr old car is absolutely original unless they have owned it from new.

The Holden HZ Sandman brochure has a Absinth Yellow HX Sandman that has been updated with HZ Sandman parts for the HZ Sandman promotion photo's..... It has the console with the coin slots installed so if that console is in the pre-production promotional vehicles then one would assume it was installed in all production cars.

The console part numbers differ between HX and HZ so according to the parts manuals HZ should have the coin slots.

Quote Originally Posted by HZSandman

This leads me to think that the auto insert had them but not the manual.

Does anyone have a picture of a manual insert with the coin slots? Please post.

Ok Ian you made me go looking at all the HZ Sandman and GTS interiors I have pics of and couldn't find a manual insert with coin slots in any of them.

On re-checking the HZ manual against the HX manual and it appears I have given you a bum steer... :oops:

In my defence the HZ manual is a little confusing. I got mixed up comparing the part numbers of the HX transmission cover against the part numbers of the HZ transmission cover assembly... :oops: :oops:

The part number did change but it is the colour and not the coin slots. HX Sandman manual had the silver painted surround and HZ had the plain black surround. HZ Auto had the black surround with the coin slots.

On the up side I also found an interesting developement with HX consoles. I have the CV&T Aug 76 road test of the HX Sandman and in the pic of the interior it shows an auto console with HJ style lift up front lid. I found in the HX manual that auto consoles were available with or without front lid... :shock: :D

God to hear. I'll save searching for a part that I'll never find. Mine has got the silver rim on it though so may have to break out the spay paint

I also saw a few pics in my brochures of HX examples with the lid in the front section. Assumed it to be an old interior used for the photo shoot.

Hi Ian. Mine also has the silver surround, and also silver around the dash fascia. I would have thought that these two would match so I wouldn't break out the spray paint just yet.
    Justin

Only joking on the spray paint :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by HZSandman View Post

Love the side trim with the decal shape stitched in. Black headlining looks good too.

I gotta tell ya man, I photographed this van at the Geelong docks one day! (Hope you dont muind, havent published any of em, jus wanted em 4 me own collection) there was this van and a way modded Esky Panno with XR8 front clip and drivline me thinks....beauty job! thats a great result...

Thread Information