Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: HZ panelvan resto

I also decided to paint the dash in portland grey, despite the fact it's an HZ, not a J or X. Again, this was mainly due to trying to "lighten" the interior a bit. So, how to mask it up? I had an older dash I thought I'd practice on and got a set of those stickers on eBay that are meant to be used to replicate the portland finish - they are shit BUT they provide an excellent masking template as long as you don't use water to adhere it - just use the normal adhesive and it comes on and off easily. So I sprayed it in portland, masked it up with that kit and sprayed in black 30. Came out very good for a trial run. I'll do the main one when I'm onto the interior.

Dash portland grey 2.jpg

Another job I got onto was obviously the welding and putting the car in hi fill and doing any body work and filler that was required. So, first up were the doors. Overall in excellent condition, but both doors had the standard holden issue of rust in the lower inner front corners - which is a shit of a job to do... So expecting the worst I marked it up...

WElding door.jpg

However, there was no rust on the inner panel - very lucky and very happy! Just needed a clean up

WElding door 2.jpg

Cut a panel from a rare spares section and sprayed the inside with weld through primer

WElding door 3.jpg

WElding door 4.jpg

Tacked in - stuffed up and needed to cut a small filler piece as well... idiot....

WElding door 5.jpg

Ground back and in primer, no filler so far...

WElding door 6.jpg

WElding door 7.jpg

Exactly the same on the other side as well... very happy with the lack of rust in the doors...

WElding door 8.jpg

WElding door 11.jpg

WElding door 12.jpg

More to come...

Nice updates, looking forward to the progression posts.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

OK, so some basic filler work. There were a few areas that needed a skim, but it wasn't as bad I as thought when I first stripped it. Use of a hammer and dolly and shrinking disc (those things are so damn good and far better that the old naked flame days) got most of the imperfections out, but a few areas still needed some filler. The dog legs were one... Not as bad as it looks though

Filler 1.jpg

Filler 2.jpg

Onto the rear quarters This one I filled before I was happy with the body work, so stripped it out, re-did some more body work and then re-did the filler. You have to be careful in these areas due to the swage line - I swear it's the bane of my life...

filler 3.jpg

But did get the curves on both sides accurate as per the reflection...

Filler 7.jpg

The roof had an area that needed beating out... Not sure what happened but I assume it was something that was being carried on roof racks... Anyway, after a lot of panel beating and a skim of filler, it was looking far straighter...

Filler 5.jpg

Filler 6.jpg

Then I did notice a rust hole in the Sill panel - very minor but nonetheless needed to be done. I wasn't too worried about how pretty it looked as it was going to be hidden under the front guard anyway...

sill 1.jpg

So cut it out and made up a little patch panel. Sill was very good inside so I presume it rusted from crap between this part and the guard keeping moisture on it.

sill 2.jpg

Sill 3.jpg

And then done enough to keep me happy and to prevent it from getting worse... Now onto other bits...

Sill 4.jpg
    Last edited by DuncanM; 24-01-2024 at 02:39 PM.

Great effort, & good entertaining reading!

Keep up the story, thanks

Over the past few months I've been keeping Rare Spares in profit territory with a number of purchases....

Rare spares 1.jpg

Rare spares 2.jpg

In addition, I bought a bunch of other things. One of the best (although pricey) was one of the van handles that fella in WA (I think) makes. Damn impressive unit...

Rear handle.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanM View Post

In addition, I bought a bunch of other things. One of the best (although pricey) was one of the van handles that fella in WA (I think) makes. Damn impressive unit...

Rear handle.jpg
    Interesting! I have only even seen photos of these (Think he only advertised on FB and I don't do FB) anyway I wasn't very impressed for the asking price but that may have been early on in the development. Can you show some more photos of the barrel (from the front)?
    Selling HJ 253 Engine

Here's the new one and old one together. Slight differences, but for a replica van I'll take it over the shit with the originals! The new one is to the left.

20240130_133044.jpg

And the top...

20240130_133037.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. Yeah, I see for what you want they're fine. For original and for the money he charges I feel more effort with the lock barrel is required. Lucky for me I ended up with new old stock original. But you are right these are scarce and pricey also.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine

Yeah agreed. However as you say perfect for a replica - and the manufacturing does look top notch!!

The old crappy ones are going for a few hundred now so I shudder to think how much a NOS one would go for!!!

Thread Information