Thread: Rear seat in van

Rear seat in van

With rules the way they are now you can't just throw the kids in the back of the van anymore.

Has anyone researched legally putting one of those '3rd row' type seats that you could get in VZ commodore wagons in a H series van?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandaro View Post
    With rules the way they are now you can't just throw the kids in the back of the van anymore.
    No. Must have seat belts and must be restrained.

Has anyone researched legally putting one of those '3rd row' type seats that you could get in VZ commodore wagons in a H series van?
    I had a full bench seat engineered in a HQ windowless panel van many years ago. So a 3rd row seat could be passed by an engineer. It's not a case of throw one in and it'll be right though!
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

I had a baby seat on the back floor between the bucket seat about 33 years ago couple of brackets she,ll be right
    When i thought about it later in a crash my daughter prob would have gone thru the front windscreen

I was a young father didn’t think about worst case scenario back then
    Pretty sure you can put a seat in the back with the right engineering

Its the van in my avatar that had the baby seat

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post

I had a full bench seat engineered in a HQ windowless panel van many years ago. So a 3rd row seat could be passed by an engineer. It's not a case of throw one in and it'll be right though!
    I figured it would have to engineered. What sort of seat and what sort of measures did the engineer specify for you? I imagine the creation of seatbelt points would have to reinforced.

3rd row wagon seats are good, cos the seatbelts are mounted on to the seat. Only problem, is leg room as they are low in the base, look at rising mounts up a few inches, but without losing too much head room.
    Generally it's best to talk to an engineer first, & make sure that hes ok to pass it, & what he requires. He might have experience & suggestions also

Good point Max. Yes, the low rise really only suits the pre teenagers. I must say thinking about it more, I'm probably leaning against it given it would only have a short life span of use in my family.

I figured it would have to engineered. What sort of seat and what sort of measures did the engineer specify for you? I imagine the creation of seatbelt points would have to reinforced.
    I didn't actually do it. I removed it from the Van after purchase. But it was written on the rego certificate "87 modified as per engineers report number".
    Like I said it was a bench seat. It appeared to be a low back bench out of a HT/G (no head rests). Seat belts had 1/4" plates under/behind the floor and sheet metal quite oversized and grade 8 nuts and bolts along with factory seat belt bolts.

This is where the early Holden's had it all over the HQ-WB because they ran on a Station Wagon floor plan. You simply cut out the support floor wall and fit a wagon rear seat and seat belts in factory positions.
    VU-VZ are the same (although you need to add a roof and engineers certificate!). In fact when you add seats (adding extra seating capacity) over the factory stamped seating capacity as stated on the compliance plate you have to get a engineers report.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Thanks Inners, appreciate your help. I don't think I can't bring myself to do it now that I properly think about it.

You're right, the earlier ones are easily adapted to rear seats.

Banned
    Agro who used to post on here has a bench seat in his van. Maybe contact him?
    You should be able to do it, plenty of troop carriers have absolutely appalling third and forth row seats in them legally. Just literally planks of wood on half inch pipe frames with seatbelts. We went into Stockton beach the other day in one like that with a tour company. All mine troopies are set up similarly as well and no mine would risk a legal issue with something like passenger safety.
    Having said that, we have had two Prados with third row seats. They have no clearance to the floor and the kids hated riding in them. So I would think it would be even worse in a van with next to no visibility as well. Take your spew bucket with you.
    Last edited by wbute; 16-12-2020 at 06:01 AM.

Thread Information