Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please help ID my panel van

I personally return it to it's original state. Roof back on!
    But as Max has stated you would be far better off with one that is still paneled without the aftermarket side glass.
    Also Sandman had a full roof lining and will require all the bows and the toothed rib edge.
    That said, easier said then found...

Spotto: FE Panno on trailer (whats the story there?)
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Banned
    I reckon it looks good as it is.
    If you did take on the re-roof, you can get repro hood bows and the teeth bit through stickthis.

Throwing a cat amongst the pigeons here.
    If that turret is in good condition go ahead and use it.
    I own a windowless van but I recon windows in looks great.
    Your van do as you want.
    Just save her!

Cheers Kiwivan
    It is not about the journey,It is the style we travel in!

That is just one big /long / humungus empty realastate window each side .. it looks much better as a ute. ..unless you could find a windowless roof .... my opinion
    Last edited by pj350; 31-05-2019 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pj350 View Post
    That is just one big /long / humungus empty realastate window each side .. it looks much better as a ute. ..unless you could find a windowless roof .... my opinion

Learner Driver

Im back

Good morning gents my apologies for tardy reply I think I caught a malware virus and have been trying to clean myself up. Thanks much for sharing your thinking it helps a lot talk to owners who have been there and done that.
    For innuendo the FE is still in the shed untouched it was to given to me by a friend after sitting parked on his farm since 1970. InHolden FE1.jpgHolden FE2.jpg

Learner Driver

Vehicle Tags

Thanks Sandaro the engine number on my block is QR913866 and matches the engine number listed in the build record letter that GM Holden sent me.
    All other vehicle details match up except the transmission code, the vehicle tag says M20 but the Holden letter says 3.74:1 4 Speed Manual (M22).
    The vehicle does have a noticeably low 1st gear and I often choose 2nd when stopped at traffic lights.
    So the vehicle was built with either an M20 or an M22 low ratio gearbox and a GV7 G80 low ratio diff.
    Would that still be consistent with a Sandman van spec do you think?

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Mansand View Post
    Thanks Sandaro the engine number on my block is QR913866 and matches the engine number listed in the build record letter that GM Holden sent me.
    All other vehicle details match up except the transmission code, the vehicle tag says M20 but the Holden letter says 3.74:1 4 Speed Manual (M22).
    The vehicle does have a noticeably low 1st gear and I often choose 2nd when stopped at traffic lights.
    So the vehicle was built with either an M20 or an M22 low ratio gearbox and a GV7 G80 low ratio diff.
    Would that still be consistent with a Sandman van spec do you think?
    To my knowledge there is no V8 version of the M22 gearbox. M22s were only fitted to 6-cyl engines.

GV7 is a 3.55 final drive. An M20 'box combined with a 3.55 rear end will feel to be quite low in the overall gearing when the vehicle is unladen.

I would take more notice of the build plate than the Holden letter.

Dr Terry

m22 normaly suited 6 cyl 1 tonner for towing weight havent seen one ever behind a v8?

For innuendo the FE is still in the shed untouched it was to given to me by a friend after sitting parked on his farm since 1970.
    That's awesome! Don't forget to show it some love in the future. Good friend you have there.

the vehicle tag says M20 but the Holden letter says 3.74:1 4 Speed Manual (M22).
    When you say "the Holden letter" is this from GM Holden LTD Australia or Holden Historical Services? If it the latter I'll believe the M22 if not, it's likely BS!
    Regardless you want to have the HHS certificate. www.holdenhistoricalservices.com.au ask Ben to confirm it before paying for the certificate.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Thread Information