Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brand Loyalty?

Brand Loyalty?

I am not bashing certain make's of vehicle's. I however, grew up with my father driving nothing but Ford, so I had the same trait until about 1982. Even though I owned a Sandman I still loved Ford, strange as it may seem. What I find hard to fathom is if you have trouble with each new vehicle you buy, why do you buy that brand again.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

my old man was holden thru n thru until he hit his head or something in the 70s and went and bought a new xc fairmont gxl...then more fords and he still drives a damn taxi now to tow his caravan...
    obviuosly it had no bearing on me as i am gm thru n thru....:weights:
    myself .....i have purchased one new car in my life and it was an esky van..and i also had a few second hand frauds because they were dirt cheap and comfy to live in...
    unless i win lotto or inherit an obscene amount of money i will always buy second hand cars..
    Last edited by ozbox; 28-09-2010 at 12:54 PM.

I'm with you oz, I love GM. I left Ford when they stopped the V8 in 82. I followed them as a kid and into adulthood with motor racing. I loved production car racing,especially Bathurst, they were great day's when you drove what they raced. My hero was Allan Moffat, still is, him being the one everyone loved to hate. He was one of the guy's who built the original GT legend, thank's to production racing.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Banned
    Mum and Dad always had Holdens (except one mistake when they had a Sigma in the 80's).
    One of my brother had an XD SPack falcon ute he bought new and I have a soft spot for them.....very small soft spot.
    My other brother had a rhone green wb kingswood which is what got me completely hooked on Holden commercials.
    But what really got me hooked on Holden was Peter Brock racing them and hotting them up with no one eyed loyalty to the commodore. Building Magnums based on the earlier series cars really made the Brock cars special to me. The only Brock commodore I really like is the Blue VK group A. I dont want to own one though. Not my my thing, too many doors.
    I like some of the earlier race specials from Holden like the S4 EH. Maybe only because they would have to be one of the rarest ones and no one ever talks about them.
    The only modern Holden I lust after is a HSV Maloo. To me they are the new Sandman and I know people say they are not due to HSV building them but until Holden build one then Maloo is the ultimate Holden commercial. That after all was what the Sandman was in the day regardless of which option of kingswood/base it was built from. People mostly buy cars like that because they are the sportiest in the range. The Maloo is sportiest and has the most horn value by far.
    I am a loyal Holden man but the only cars I buy now are Toyota four wheel drives. Makes sense hey.... not.

Sandman Guru
    My parents had Holdens brand new. I grew up with new HQ's and WB's and Holden powered Bedfords. My first cars were a HQ Belmont van and a HQ Deville. Had literally dozens upon dozens of Holdens since plus a few Toranas. And a Chev powered FJ40 'cruiser plus a Chev TH400 MQ Patrol ute, and a '57 Chev. Plus the Overlander 1-tonner. Newer stuff have been V2 Monaro (still have), VSIII ute, VY SS ute, VZ Cross8. I just traded the Cross8 in on a new 2010 SR5 Hilux. Yeah, not a GMH product but GMH don't make anything that will do the job of the Cross8 or Hilux. I even once owned an XF Falcon ex cab - cost bugger all and was cheap to run!

As for brand loyalty. Even if I was unbiased, I cannot think of any Ford made after the XA RPO83 that I'd own. They are all ugly rust buckets. I class the XB and XC Falcons as the ugliest cars ever built in Australia (love the XA though!). Modern stuff in 6cyl form are good things, better than 6cyl GMH equivalent. But who wants a 6cyl when you can have a V8 option and GMH have had the best (or only) V8's since the early 80's.

Banned
    If Holden built a V8 4wd Commodore one tonner I would replace the hilux tomorrow.

Sandman Guru
    Yes, that was my dillema. They only built the AWD Holden 1-tonner as a V6, hence why I bought the Cross8 - just put up with the dual cab. Got to 5 years old though and not tax effective anymore. I loved the Overlander too, but as an everyday driver bits were getting too hard to find. I had plans to put a BBC in it, but just wasn't worth the effort. I even considered buying a close to new 3.0L Patrol ute, and scrapping the 3.0L for a 6.0L GenIV V8. Was too dear to do it though, cheaper to buy a LC but alas the V8 is a damn diesel so no go there either!

I`m 38 ( bought my first car when I was 17) and have only ever owned 3 cars...
    A `69 Coralla, a HJ panno and my ute.

If there is ever going to be a fourth I could see myself cruising in something like this... (except without the number plates LOL)

Valient

there is one of those for sale at Canowindra for around $3500 its in good nick too yellow....

Thanks jen,
    Not looking to buy but always looking and of course you know what I mean...

Only got room for one vehicle in my life but I reckon a Valiant would be an awesome cruiser!

Thread Information