Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help me identify my van

My HZ was GVM 1950. I think with commercial tyres they were 2200 kg. I say it’s a Sandman.
    Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

1977 HZ 1950kg, 1978 2000kg for Sandman, only 1977 1950kg could also possibly be XU4 (non sandman with derated tyres), but by '78 that doubt was removed by the unique Sandman 2000kg rating

Banned
    I wonder why HHS wouldn’t have confirmed it? Maybe they can’t with out the missing records?

I suspect the inquiry didn't get beyond first base, ie the date of manufacture being outside the date they service

Learner Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by davegmh View Post
    My HZ was GVM 1950. I think with commercial tyres they were 2200 kg. I say it’s a Sandman.
    I’d like to thank everyone for your very kind responses. I took her off the road in 1995 to “do her up” & I didn’t get very far, but fortunately I didn’t just sell off her good parts & scrap the shell! But now I’ve got a massive job ahead of me but it’s all good I’ll dig out some photos of her when she was still on the road back in the 90s, thanks again to you all Bobcat68

- - - Updated - - -

I’ll dig out the Emails he sent me again when I get home

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    I wonder why HHS wouldn’t have confirmed it? Maybe they can’t with out the missing records?
    There are gaping holes in the records and Ben won't offer a certificate if he doesn't have the info. This doesn't stop him having an opinion but he has to be very careful for obvious business reasons.
    Holes have to be in place for the front console mount, no holes = never a full console fitted. Not 100% proof but it all helps when you are looking for all the evidence.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Learner Driver
    I will check the front of the tunnel for the console mounting holes on the weekend, the probable reason for the console change is that somebody replaced the M21 with a Saginaw 4spd long before I bought her & had to modify the gearshift & crossmember positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat68 View Post
    I will check the front of the tunnel for the console mounting holes on the weekend, the probable reason for the console change is that somebody replaced the M21 with a Saginaw 4spd long before I bought her & had to modify the gearshift & crossmember positions.
    Take photos of the tunnel, screw holes and shifter hole (or what's left of it).
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Banned
    3E6B7A9C-040B-4E23-AC32-F5541589EA12.jpeg

Just to save any confusion, this is the front mount in my HX Sandman ute. They are definitely welded, not screwed.

Console mounts are only a way of ruling a car out, not ruling it in. Console was available on any floor shift HZ.
    Last edited by wbute; 22-10-2018 at 07:57 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat68 View Post
    A lot of people pulled the buckets out and put a bench seat in, or just pulled the console out and put a pillow there for a third passenger. Street machiners pulled the consoles out because it makes the interior heaps cleaner too.

Thread Information