Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Austral HJ - Project

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Your old mans clearly wasn’t a stock order Sandaro, being 308 and the intermittent wipers (although perhaps they could be dealer fitted?).
    Your in an awesome position knowing your old mans has been in the family since new and it’s unmolested.
    Dwell wipers would have been factory fitted in HJ as they were part of the wiring harness, unlike HX-WB which had a plug and could be dealer fitted.

My wife’s mother has an Indy Orange HG GTS Monaro that they have owned since buying it new in 1970, even it is not totally unmolested as the orange houndstooth trim frayed and the seats were re-trimmed in the 90’s in black vinyl as they couldn’t get the cloth.

I have a 75 HJ Sandman van with 308 and 4 speed, no dwell wipers on mine and I have factory aircond. And limited slip diff.
    Last edited by Absinth; 09-11-2020 at 04:28 PM.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Love to see a couple pics of your dads car Sandaro

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinth View Post
    Not a theory, it’s fact. HJ Kingswood came standard with forced air ventilation so 4 vents. As WB mentioned forced air was optional on base model so if your fathers car is a base model and has been optioned with forced air it will have the 4 vent dash, was extremely rare though.

Pretty easy to figure out, turn the fan on while stationary and if air blows out through the dash vents you have forced air ventilation.

It was also easy to retrofit by going to your local wrecker and getting the plastic vent pipes from a Wrecked car that had it.. plenty of wrecked HX,HZ and WB vehicles back in the 80’s to molest and the wreckers rarely charged us for behind dash plastics.
    I don't agree with your theory re. forced air.

Th actual heater box differs markedly between forced air & non forced air as do the controls. Forced air cars also get a heater valve & and an extra cable. To retrofit properly you really the whole system (except for the 2 outer floor & face vents)

When first released in HJ forced air was standard for Premier & GTS and above, but it was optional for all Belmonts, Kingswoods & commercials. It also differed to the HX forced air system in that it did not have the 2 plastic tubes to the centre vents. They were fed by a large plastic moulded duct similar to a/cond cars.

AFAIK forced air became standard for Kingwood level cars for HX & this is when the 2 plastic tubes were introduced.

This continued for the same HZ, but I'm not sure about the A9K Kingswoods (which are effectively Belmonts by another name).

For WB, all cars from the most basic One-Tonner got forced air as standard. There was no non forced air in WBs.

Dr Terry

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Absinth View Post
    The only option you got extra when ordering a 308 on a base model was disc brakes.
    Not quite. When you order a 308 V8 you got the heavy duty (large Salisbury) diff as standard & you had to option either a 4-speed or Automatic trans. You couldn't keep the stock 3-speed all-synchro manual.

The large Salisbury diff was a (rare) option for 6-cyl cars.

Dr Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
    I don't agree with your theory re. forced air.

Th actual heater box differs markedly between forced air & non forced air as do the controls. Forced air cars also get a heater valve & and an extra cable. To retrofit properly you really the whole system (except for the 2 outer floor & face vents)

When first released in HJ forced air was standard for Premier & GTS and above, but it was optional for all Belmonts, Kingswoods & commercials. It also differed to the HX forced air system in that it did not have the 2 plastic tubes to the centre vents. They were fed by a large plastic moulded duct similar to a/cond cars.

AFAIK forced air became standard for Kingwood level cars for HX & this is when the 2 plastic tubes were introduced.

This continued for the same HZ, but I'm not sure about the A9K Kingswoods (which are effectively Belmonts by another name).

For WB, all cars from the most basic One-Tonner got forced air as standard. There was no non forced air in WBs.

Dr Terry

- - - Updated - - -

Not quite. When you order a 308 V8 you got the heavy duty (large Salisbury) diff as standard & you had to option either a 4-speed or Automatic trans. You couldn't keep the stock 3-speed all-synchro manual.

The large Salisbury diff was a (rare) option for 6-cyl cars.

Dr Terry
    Yes I said Kingswood for forced air in HJ and it should have been Premier... I had in my mind Kingswood as it is standard in HX/HZ Sandman.

yes a bit more than just the vent pipes for HJ, you also need the crashpad, blower and controls from a HX on. I hit the wreckers and stripped out the entire dash from a HX Monaro and retrofit it into my HJ ute in the 80’s, still easy enough to do although we weren’t worried about keeping things original back then. From memory they charged me $50 for the crashpad, glovebox and under facia panel, the rest they didn’t charge me for.

I was talking Sandman when I said disc brakes only extra option with 308, 4sp is standard but I did forget about the diff although I suppose the 4sp is optioned up from M20 to M21.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandaro View Post
    Hmm, first I’ve heard of that. Only late HJ would explain why mine doesn’t have it. It didn’t carry on to HX and HZ, I had a 308 HX and it didn’t have wiper dwell.

Seems strange it was only in late HJ, I would like to hear from others with late HJ fitted with 308 and see if they have it also.

Can't seem to upload photos, will try from work tomorrow. Just to be clear the forced air also provides fan forced air to demister too? I guess I've just always taken this for granted, Dad's Sandman, plus have it in my own GTS and Premier.

In a vehicle without forced air ventilation the fan blows air to either the demister or the footwell. From memory there will be a 2 speed fan switch at the top, A slide lever with triangles pointing up and down for Demister or footwell and another slide lever with a blue and red square at either side for cool or heated air. The vents in the dash will only blow air if the car is moving as they draw air from the external vent in front of the windscreen the same as the big round down facing vents in the footwell.

In a vehicle with forced air the fan blows air to the dash vents as well so if I remember correctly the hot cold slide lever has a vent symbol and then a blue and red square.
    Last edited by Absinth; 10-11-2020 at 01:41 AM.

Thanks for the explanation. It's defintitely got the 4 vents and I'm pretty sure it blows air at face level but I will double check that and documentation on any options ticked before getting too caught up.

Some photos from early 90's from some trips I did in it (these ones snowys & QLD before I had my own reliable wheels). The Van still looks the same.IMG_20201109_185017 (2).jpg

Can only load one photo atm, try again later
    Last edited by Sandaro; 10-11-2020 at 10:39 PM.

Took me a bit of searching but here is a lat HJ 308 with dwell wipers but not forced air...4F7C7A51-3966-4948-9E81-9220C6A2A913.jpeg

Thread Information