Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radiator shrouds

Radiator shrouds

Are they really that good?
    Never had one but are they proven to work.
    Open road I would not think they would make a difference.
    But low speeds around town perhaps?
    People thoughts and how may run them?

Cheers Kiwivan
    It is not about the journey,It is the style we travel in!

Sandman Driver
    Interesting question

I think the shroud came out with VC, (How do you make an old straight six sound like somethimg different - increase the fan noise, and make it whoosh smoothly? ) It's just my observation of course on that idea. But I love it, might try it on the Kingy.

In terms of serious after-market use though, if going that far, then why not go electric? You could still use the shroud of course.

Banned
    I wouldn't go without one. They make the fan work more efficiently. I thought all HQ-WB V8 got a full shroud? Is a electric thermo fan any better than a viscous fan?
    At highway speed the fan would rarely even be driving (viscous) anyway. The Horton fan clutch (they are air locked up when a thermostat gets hot enough)on the Kenworth truck I had, hardly ever came on while on the highway. You could definitely hear that fan kick in.
    Last edited by wbute; 01-10-2017 at 02:48 PM.

Yes I thought they came out with them.
    They certainly sell them for the HQ-HZ from Kingswood country.
    As for electric I will stick with standard.
    Maybe just purchase the shroud.

Cheers Kiwivan

The shroud is there for a reason

Sandman Driver
    I didn't realise they were standard on earlier V8's, I noticed them when they came out on the 202 in commodore. I do reckon they changed the sound of the 202. I like the above posts.

My reason for mentioning electric was that the electrical system is (generally) more than able. Logically, (experimentally), removing the wind resistance from the fan off the crank pulley, and transferring it to the electrical system might, (I do say might) decrease some load on the engine. However, I didn't mean to suggest it's a good idea, I just thought I'd pose the question. I think its an interesting idea however, although I'm sure it's been done before.

The shroud, - whilst I think it's a good thing to have (for a heap of reasons in any option) probably slightly increases wind resistance, (in my own imagination)... that said, I also think it fairly obviously increases airflow to the radiator, (pretty significantly) I'd imagine.

So, I think its a great design feature, and worth having. I just wondered, if one went electric, it could potentially decrease overall load to the engine. Not that I meant to advise it, I only intended to pose the question. Something to muse, its not a difficult mod, or un-mod (for that matter) in the scheme of things.

For reliable normal driving, and generally, outside of a performance or other experimentation I like the factory set up.

I thought the radiator shroud was standard only on HQ-Z vehicles with Air conditioning else you got the bendy guard.
    7.jpg

Mauser
    “485650 HQ's cant be wrong...”
    “You don’t drive a Kingswood, you make love to it. That’s why nuns only drive Toranas.” - Ted Bullpitt

Banned
    Possibly so.

I do have the bendy guard,and no air con so maybe that’s that??

Cheers Kiwivan

Mauser is right.

SLR_dave, the 12 port head with the blue motor introduction might have been responsible for the noise you spoke of but also the fan did get noisy when the viscous coupling (basically a small chamber with temperature sensitive expanding wax pellets in it that when they sensed enough localised heat they swelled enough to "engage" the fan) cut in.

The large shroud was std on a/c vehicles along with factory tinted Pilkington glass and a couple of other things like front springs (to take the extra weight of the full a/c unit ) etc. A good viscous fan and shroud set up works really well. I've kept mine in case I ever want to put it back standard. The couplings are still available new and you can test them by noting them 'cycle' when the unit temp reaches around 90-95 degrees C. Check it with one of tje cheap laser temp sensors while the engine is running.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Thread Information