Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First paying job

Banned

First paying job

What was your first paying job (excluding chores for mum and dad).

I did work experience at a engineering joint in the inner west of Sydney in 88. Spent the week operating a computer controlled lathe (it used punch cards) turning bolts up for train carriages. The boss handed out the pay one arvo and then gave me $70 or $80 bucks. I didn't expect anything so I was pretty stoked.

I worked after I left school in a chrome plating dept of a metal product manufacturer....
    Everything I could unbolt from my van in the morning and bolt back on before leaving in the afternoon was chromed!
    $68.00/week but I must have got hundreds of dollars worth of free chrome plating done.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

I delivered milk from 5am to 7am on weekdays before school 5 days a week when I was in grades 9 and 10 - $25 per week and plenty of Big M milk ! Those winter mornings were bloody cold in Hobart.

1976..I did a paper run after school (year 9 & 10) 5 days a week, along a business strip which included 2 pubs & 2 clubs. It paid about $20 for the week, but got $50 or more in tips, much more payday, horse race days, xmas etc. It was still in the era of public bars where the working men congregated, so there was the "here's a dollar, (papers were 8 cents at the time) take it out to the green EH or blue HK" or whatever and there was the wife sitting in the car with glove box open & a 7 of shandy sitting on the lid listening to the radio. Then she would say "isn't he coming yet, tell him im ready for another drink". Or the next thing, would be a smartass would buy me a beer for a paper thinking I wouldn't drink it! Things were a little different then! I was lucky to get home sometimes, but luckily no breatherlyser. Taking inflation probably better income than im on now. Along that paper run there were car yards which from time to time had monaros & panelvans on show & I think that might of had a some sort of long term impression on me

In 1985 i pushed trolleys on Thursday nights and Saturday mornings for Coles at Belmont Forum in Perth.

Quote Originally Posted by damienengland View Post
    In 1985 i pushed trolleys on Thursday nights and Saturday mornings for Coles at Belmont Forum in Perth.
    Same shopping centre ,same job, same days but for Kmart

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    Same shopping centre ,same job, same days but for Kmart
    Wow! Actually i remember that I used to push them for both Kmart and Coles, i just got paid by Coles. Surely you couldn't have been the same year as well?

Quote Originally Posted by damienengland View Post
    Wow! Actually i remember that I used to push them for both Kmart and Coles, i just got paid by Coles. Surely you couldn't have been the same year as well?
    No not the same year

Pamphlet Delivery closely followed by pushing trolley's, in Alice Springs, no idea what I was paid but the pamphlet delivery sucked, I remember being chased by dogs and abused by people. Mum would help me fold the things on a Friday night, I looked forward too and dreaded Tax time and new phone books, more pay but they were damn heavy.
    Would have been around 93/94

I also remember being chased for taking the trolleys, picture a 14yr old kid being chased by a group of Indigenous and camp dogs while pushing trolleys through the Alice Springs CBD, my work ethic has since waned. Was about the time trolleys started to have a dollar deposit so I would get a cash bonus sometimes, spent at either the takeaway shop or the Curios store.

I was about 9 or 10, lived in Townsville and would ride the pushy up to the local tackle shop to pack hooks and sinkers into little bags @ 2 cents a bag! It was awesome sometimes I earnt up to twenty bucks in a week.

Thread Information