Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What did you drive on your L's what did you use for the test (bitta fun)

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Got to say that the age of people on here is a lot younger than I expected!
    I drove our truck to the local wheat Silo at harvest in 1990. I was still on my P's so couldn't get a truck license. That was 7 trips a day on a 70km round trip for about two weeks up the Castlereagh highway! I didn't get to choose either. I was just told by my older brother that I had to do it lol. Never got pulled up thank Christ.
    I'm surprised at the younguns too wbute, by 1998 I was welcoming child number three. Good to see a mix of ages though, it's what every hobby/obsession needs.........gotta have somebody to sell the van to down the track

Judging by your comments...driving at 8, 160km trip on L's, 490km a day you must have the most tanned right arm in the land

1976. No L's or P's then. (In QLD anyway). Learner permit was a little piece of paper. Got caught by coppers crossing double lines on the old road into Gatton in my brothers GTR Torana. $30 fine, asked copper how many points, he says none. As I was on my learners he says you have none to lose. Did my driving test in my first car, a panel van........a mini minor panel van. Lol
    Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

Yep can relate to that wbute, my first driving experience was driving the tractor on the farm with an auger trailer putting grain in the silos at the age of 5, first solo at 6. I couldn't sit on the seat and had to stand up straight to be able to jump on the clutch pedal, the other foot covering the brake pedal. Lucky it had a hand throttle. Then onto trucks with road ranger crash boxes at 9.

On my L plates had to drive mums car, its a bit embarrassing a P76 but it was a V8.
    On my P plates HJ Sandman all original until a got the power bug and slipped a 327 and Muncie into it. Man do I miss that old car.

Got my p plates in 1988
    did the test in a xd falcon
    learnt to drive farm vehicles and had a vw buggy
    First car was a Hz ute 202 auto and still hate 6 cylinder holdens 9 months later got a v8 WB Kingswood wish I still had it

Sandman Driver
    L's in 1987 (year 11).

No provisional licence existed at that time for the ACT. You just did a theory test which gave you eight weeks of L's.

First drive was a Nissan C120 (Vanette)- mums taxi. Did the test in a Gemini SLX (5 speed D) belonging to the driving instructor, the Gemini was quite a tidy car at that time.

First driving years were in the C120.

First car I owned and drove was an LH Torana (purchased in Melbourne at age 21 - 186S, M20, Dragways, Yoko's, SLR paint -hot 2 pack yellow with black stripes-, SLR dash mock up, air rear shocks, Aunger rear sunshade, and... rust, right through, everywhere - (although you couldn't see it). It's last run on the Canberra Melbourne leg was 1993. Fully loaded with five guys on that trip, a friend who took the wheel said "this thing drives like a cannon ball", true too with no front stabiliser! I kept the Tory driving on and off for 20+ years though.

So (to answer a perhaps obvious question), I never owned a real SLR, I had the chance to swap all the running gear onto a genuine A9X shell at one point, it was even the same colour, but I missed the deal by five mins cuase I thought I had it in the bag, and stopped to buy a meat pie on the way, when I got there, I'd just missed the deal by minutes, lol! - I gained the tag 'Torana Dave' from mates after that day, my quip in response was 'SLR Dave', hence the tag.

DSC03690.JPGI learned to drive in this Mediteranean Blue LC SL Torana that my mum bought new in 1971.
    I got my license in it 3 months later and like most P platers, lost it for speeding.
    I got my license again in it.
    My wife Donna learned to drive in our SL/R 5000 but got her license in the blue LC.
    Fast forward to today and we still own it... 103,000 kms and still has the original carpet in it....
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Not many 46 year old Torana,s like that left Rob its a credit to you

SAM_4532.jpg
    Purchased this when I was 16 in 1980, went for my test in it and slipped in a 2 litre a year later.

What year did you get your P's?...1978

What did you drive for the test?....Bike, Yamaha mini-enduro 80cc (test was do a figure 8 around the cop in car park, sound horn & operate blinkers)
    Car, 1964 XM Falcon 170 Auto (test was lap of main street & parallel park between cop cars)

What was the weirdest thing you drove on L's?.... Me, being the first child, my old man saw me on "L's" as being his personal chauffeur. So I got to drive whatever he was working on, from Fiat 500, mini, Beetle etc to early Fairlanes & Dodge Phoenix to farm trucks. Our family had FE Holden ute, FB sedan & XM falcon sedan at the time

What was your first car that you drove on P's? .... Bike, I had a Honda XL250 with a 305 kit and a 250 Elsinore.
    Car, anything and everything. But a memorable one was after having been driving for a couple of months, I was given the keys to a Mazda Bongo van (I think they were 900 or 1000cc) and a map and told to deliver it to a customer in Sydney (from memory it took about 8 hours to drive. Top speed was not much). My first car was a HQ 202 3speed sedan
    Last edited by maxsandman; 09-08-2017 at 09:08 PM.

Got my Ps in 88
    Driving test Datsun 180B or 200B can't remember
    Weirdest thing on Ls Datsun 120Y
    First car on Ps 302 XB Fairmont, ended up having a 351 before I got of Ps

Thread Information