Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lloyds Auction 15 Jul 2017 - HX Papaya Sandman

Lloyds Auction 15 Jul 2017 - HX Papaya Sandman

Hello folks,
    Is the HX Sandman going to auction this Saturday at Lloys Auctions a genuine Sandman? From what I can see it has a GMV of 2200kg on the tag and yellow needles in the dash with the exception of the speedo. I also think the grill may be wrong?
    Not being well versed on Sandmans I could be completely wrong and apologies in advance if so.
    Any thoughts?

I don't know if it is genuine or not, but this particular auction house has form with declaring vans genuine Sandmans. Admittedly it was their Qld branch when a Toowoomba guy was selling off his car collection and it was a yellow HQ and they did change the listing a few days before the auction after one our members contacted, after many bids had been placed. Point is buyer beware because their comeback is "It's what we are told, do your own research"

http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...ghlight=lloyds

This particular car (HX) was in JustCars magazine fairly recently...I think $40k approx could be wrong maybe that was its starting price on ebay. The large almost transparent side bubble windows make it memorable to me.

It was also passed in at Shannons back in 2007 with a different grill?? https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions...3BJC6C844RMDC/

Is it a genuine Sandman? You can't tell from photos and the plate info points to either an XU3 Sandman or a non Sandman.

A body inspection would help complete the investigation. Remember that parts change over the years due to them breaking and a lack of authentic replacements, parts change due to the owner adding their personal touch too. So don't discount authenticity because the grill or speedo are not correct.

If you're keen on the car (and it looks great) and you want it to be an authentic Sandy then I suggest you contact Holden Historical Services with the plate information for some guidance.

*edit - This vehicle has not been registered on this site previously.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

Looks like a sandman to me something is not right with the rego I don't think those green and white plate were available til late 1978 or early 79

Banned
    Who knows. I can't understand why write such a big story about "factory fit out" and never being out of rego, putting it in a big name auction and having every gauge in the dash incorrect except the speedo. There are some things that are so simple to have correct that it just makes you question everything else.

To me (playing keyboard detective) the red flags are in the original purchase receipt
    Sandy rego.jpg
    The build plate says 12/76, the receipt dated 19/9/78 calls it a 78 model and says never registered before, meaning it was sold as a brand spanker. The typo on the year is neither here nor there but the price paid is $4,300 which seemed way too low for a sandman let alone one with a 308 and Turbo400. Thats less than a corolla van as per this highly reliable source http://nostalgiacentral.com/pop-cult...ces-australia/
    If genuine, this should have been at least $7k and closer to $8k new https://www.redbook.com.au/cars/rese...b1970..1980%5d)) Also as per other car mags of the time I have but couldn't bother to dig out during Origin (Go Qld). The $4300 is the price listed for stamp duty so any possible trade would not be factored in.

I know there are better ways to test genuineness than this (eg;HHS as suggested) but that price seemed odd for what I knew

it's at $28,500.00 at the moment......
    I don't know why someone you'd put it up for auction with the speedo needles different, or a twin headlight front or especially the silver grille, but it is what it is and seems like a nice van for the (current) money.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

You're right Blue Victor, that receipt creates more questions than it answers. The year is obviously an error, the not previously registered could mean never (did it really sit on a lot for 12 months into HZ production?) or it was never previously registered in Victoria, ie 2nd hand van from another state, which is probably more likely and would account for the price. Also note tare weights etc, they are quoting 500 for load which is XX7 figures, which the plate is not, GVM of 2200kg as per the plate would be 1450 vehicle plus 750 load

Sold for $75k

Thread Information