Page 9 of 32 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Axistr new project

What colour is this van goin to be Lenny

Quote Originally Posted by Blue victor View Post
    So you're running with the HZ front then?
    Yep its HZ all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    What colour is this van goin to be Lenny
    I like metallic paints and would like to paint it with an original HZ colour. My wife didn't like my first choice so I have come to a compromise. The colour I chose is _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _.

Finished repairing the front panels and decided to do a fit up to ensure no further repairs were needed and body lines all matched. All the panels lined up surprisingly well with good gaps all-round, especially since the front apron, radiator support, both inner and outer guards are from four different cars. Next I need my son to come around and help me put the bonnet on.

Ok question for the experts. Trying to keep the HZ original look inside the engine bay, I know the upper sections of the front guards are body colour but are the insides of the outer guards GMH black or body colour, and the backside of the front apron from memory was body colour. Its been a long time since I had my original sandman and memory of where the GMH black starts and finished are very foggy.

DSC_0027[1659].JPG

DSC_0028[1658].JPG

DSC_0029[1661].JPG

Bloody hot today in the shed and had to call it quits, couldn't mix any Nicky, dried before I could mix the hardener in properly . Temp gauge got to 49.5 and even hotter in the shed. its the hottest I have ever seen it here.

DSC_0026[1660].JPG

Front apron body colour all over, Mudguards body colour all over. Radiator support & inner guards black as per my memory

cheers
    Max

Thanks Max,

I have decided to fit a HZ front spoiler and do the fit up to ensure everything is ok before re-strip and hi-fill. I don't know how many times I have purchased new products only to find they don't fit correctly and i have to piss around making them fit properly.

In saying that who has purchased a front spoiler recently, what brand, and did you have any problems or fitting issues. Again my memory on the front spoilers is vague, but didn't the original spoilers fit up to the rear of the front guard lip or did they all just bolt onto the side of the front guard. And what cost would I expect to pay for one. Or is it Rare Spares only these days.

Your best bet is Wilson Fibreglass in Sydney (Taren Point) from memory.
    Ernicks Fibreglass is the same company.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

P Plater
    I second ernicks fibreglass. Fit perfect with zero modifications needed.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HJ-HZ-FR...jQbITVcamqpOfA

There were 1 or 2 other guys that fit them around the same time. Every report has been a perfect fit with no stuffing around.

Thanks guys I will get onto them.

I wasn't happy with the body lines above the doors, the previous panel beater had these sections and the rest of the van in guide coat (WTF) decided to start with fitting the window trim and over door drip rails and see how good or bad every thing lined up. I had to repair the removable drip rails first and when I fitted them the body lines looked much worse. Used the file paper tool and quickly found the panel repair was all over the place. Not knowing how well this previous beater carried out repairs I took it back to bare metal and removed any bog and start fresh. There was way to much bog build up and once removed I could see the correct body lines and only needs around 1/4 of the amount to filler to get it right. Once again if you want it right do it your bloody self.

After stripping these panels I found they have lead in both sides which I would presume is still factory not sure, you wouldn't think the previous beater would have lead wiped these panel sections?
    Anyway sand blasted and repaired the drip rails and epoxy primed. Primed the body sections ready for filler next time.

DSC_0032_1[1672].JPG DSC_0031[1675].JPG

DSC_0035[1668].JPG DSC_0036[1669].JPG

Thread Information