Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Axistr new project

Repaired the door hinges made new bushes on the lathe, sand blasted and epoxy primed. Repaired the doors fitted and aligned. Should get the engine block back next week so I can get the engine assembled and in before attacking the front panels.

DSC_0002_3[1060].JPG

Finally got the engine block and heads back. The machine shop I had been using for the past 28 years has been sold and taken over by new owners, I was going to use them but got recommended another machine shop by a mate that who did good work and reasonably priced. Well I didn't expect to have to wait for almost four months but didn't hassle them. I gave the machine shop strict instruction of what I wanted done. Chemically cleaned, new cam bearing, bored & honed, rods checked and pin fit, main tunnels checked, and heads serviced including all new guides. I know I am a bit fussy but this is how the engine turned up.

DSC_0010[1258].JPG

Its a bit hard to see but look at all the crap and silicon in the rear seal recesses. He didn't put the block through to hot tank, didn't remove the welsh plugs. When I questioned him about not even removing the welsh plugs he told me they were brass. I said only two plugs were brass what about the rest and the cam welsh plus were supposed to have been removed and acid hot dip the block and heads. He shrug his shoulders. The old story once they have your money there isn't any use complaining. So removed all the welsh plugs, degreased and steam cleaned the block myself and started from scratch. Also a bit hard to see in the photo but number 8 cylinder bore was damaged at the bottom 10mm where his tool must have come loose and has scored the bore no possibility of trying to hone them out .010" deep. Lucky it won't effect performance or longevity of the engine but not happy Jan. He didn't say anything, I think he thought I would take the Stevie Wonder approach to the engine assembly. I didn't go to his shop with a guide dog either.

Anyway with my bitching out of the way I fitted the new cam bearings, borrowed more measuring gear and double checked every thing twice. Every thing measured up ok. With every part properly clean and ready to go back together I did the assembly. Don't like fitting rope rear main seals but after 3 hours I got it just right. Luck all the bores were machined to the correct sizes and the ring gaps were all spot on.

DSC_0019[1257].JPG DSC_0018[1256].JPG DSC_0020[1254].JPG DSC_0022[1255].JPG

And as they say in the cooking shows, "here is one I made previously"

DSC_0023[1252].JPG

And its back in. Next free day I will do the wiring hook up and fire it up. Just as I took the photo I realised this was the first V8 I have build that is basically stock. Its got a bit more compression, a bit more lift and duration in the cam but that's it. hmm must be getting old.

Yeah getting old, but probably more drivable, yours is basically the spec I've built my motors to. I got about 10.5 to 1 comp with flattops and a bit of a head shave. The shop I used was also sold to new people (didn't know till later) used then out of loyalty, good jobs previously even though it was an hour each way from my place, but when I got the bare block back and partly assembled on the stand realised they hadn't put the welsh plug in (one at the back of the cam). They agreed to mail it out, but it took 2 tries, the first plug they sent was way too small. When you're in a hurry to get a job done its pretty frustrating sometimes

Good engine builders are hard to find these days thank god i got an old school mechanic who loves building these engines
    Yes Lenny we are getting old im taking mine back to stock as well
    no Stage 4 Heetseeker Cam for this old dude anymore

Very nice engine build. I know what you mean about blocks being poorly done. Over the years, I've had a number of stern conversations with the machine shop that used to do all of my Cummins K50 blocks. However they responded so well on those blocks, that i was happy to take my 355 to them and they did a good job on it. Is your intake manifold new or did you get your existing one cleaned up?

G'day damienengland, I have a sand blasting cabinet so blasted then painted it to make it easier to clean.
    I have done plenty of Cummins work NTC,NT, KT, ISM, ISC, M11, L10, N14 but not familiar with a K50 series. ?

Hi axistr. They were KTA50G3 engines being machined so part of the K family. Cheers

Sorry I am not familiar with them, are they used in the mining industry? All my Cummins experience has been in heavy road haulage trucks.

Yes, fairly common in mining, especially power generation and dump trucks etc. Pic below from my old workshop. Cheers

20150127_151117.jpg

Impressive, they make a 15lt ISX Cummins look like a 6cyl Holden engine.

Thread Information