Page 6 of 32 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Axistr new project

Banned
    Good way to fix those hinges. Looks like a handy shed. Is that a milling machine? Looks like mine.

Yep had to buy a new lathe and mill when I sold the business. Hafco units, not as good as the old machines I used to own just Chinese copies as they say. But better than nothing.
    Shed is good size and enough to house all the toys.

DSC_0169_4.JPG

DSC_0059.JPG

Decided to remove the old paint from one of the upper tailgate. I got two tailgates with all the parts. The original one is not repairable and the second one I paint stripped is better but has rust holes throughout. Even if I try to repair all the tiny holes (and big holes) I recon it will come back and bit me. Rust may come back through shortly after painting, probably somewhere else unless I remove the skin and treat the underside. If I attempt to remove the outer skin I don't think I will ever get it right again, I am not a panel beater and my skills in doing this type of repair are limited.

Question: does anyone make or do skins for the upper tailgate yet ? I suppose everyone wants one, but I will put it out there has anyone got a decent one they want to sell.

DSC_0064[1001].JPG

DSC_0065[1000].JPG

It seams these upper tailgates are getting hard to find in reasonable condition, so had no choice but try and repair the one I have. I managed to weld up all the holes and straighten it all up. Needs minimal body filler so I am happy the way it come up. I have flooded the inside with rust converter to make sure what's there is treated.

The lower tailgate come with all the car parts, a new Rare Spares unit. I had to cut the corners and weld up the seams. Surprising it come up excellent after three hours of mucking around. I had to twist the tailgate then spot weld it in position. These tailgates have no spot welds on the inner frame to outer skin, just folded and no glue. Without a few tacks it was so flimsy, nice and solid now. Also had to change the hinges from sides to get the body lines to align.

Have you checked the bow from the inside? We have found this bow in the aftermarket lower tailgates doesn't allow the tailgate to seal properly.

Thanks Innuendo for the tip, are you referring to the inner skin lower section where the rubber seals against the tailgate and body ?

Quote Originally Posted by axistr View Post
    Thanks Innuendo for the tip, are you referring to the inner skin lower section where the rubber seals against the tailgate and body ?
    Yeah that's it. We have discussed the fact you can put your fingers/hand in the gap in the centre section where the bow is. (from the inside out).

Thanks Innuendo, 100% right the tailgate has a decent bow in the centre. I can put my finger in the gap by not my hand. It looks like the rubber seal will probably seal the difference in the gap between the centre and outer but not real good manufacturing. When I finish the upper tailgate I will have to make sure the convex are the same as the lower tailgate or I will be in strife. It would be a real bugger to try and reduce the convex in the lower. Thanks for the heads up.

I'm not sure it will effect the outer top where the top tailgate closes. But yeah, quality control missed the obvious when they re-made these.

Banned
    I reckon they used a bent tailgate as the template.

Thread Information