Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Axistr new project

Beachy, These are the things I know, the compliance and vin plates all match with the current driveline and chassis number. the engine has the WR prefix but I haven't checked the date casting numbers yet but will do. The 10 bolt diff and ratio match and is an LSD. The centre console is the same as HZ but the arm rest is slightly different from earlier models which I didn't realise the WB were different until now. The power steering hoses are still the original factory hoses. The GTS dash looks original and yellow needle, the speedo has a trip meter. GTS steering wheel, I haven't pulled out the full length hood lining but looks original can't be 100 percent sure on this yet. The mirrors are also GTS and the doors have the holes that match. Model on the plate reads WB8WM70 L36 M20 GV7 The car doesn't appear to have much work done on it and looks original throughout. What else can I go on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    I can't read the tags but there is nothing there that's not possible except the GTS mirrors. They are either dealer or owner fitted.
    The console lid should be a hard lid with a soft vinyl cover over it. Yes different to HZ. They are hard to find too.
    The seats should have removable head rests. Covered in vinyl and look the same as WB statesman but don't have the height adjustment on drivers side. They have different mounts to Commodore. The seat belt stalks should have the same long red button across the top but have cable covered in heat shrink, not the concertina cover like statesman. They are also longer so you can't swap them. That is also unique to WB commercial like the console lid and seat runners.
    WR is correct engine prefix. LSD is not real common. Someone has optioned everything you pretty much could on that van except AC

Banned
    I really think you would be mad to not keep it original. There are so many unique WB things on it that will only add collector desirability if it's done right. Not to mention you will not pass rego legally without the WB tailights. You don't have the side repeaters that HZ had. The WB tailights stuck out relegating the side repeaters to the past. The windscreen washers are a dead giveaway as well.

Yep has everything you have listed. The washers, seat belts and console lid, removable seat headrests all as you have described. I did get the rear WB taillights with all the spares as well as the HZ set. WB rear lights wiring harness still original. One last question, I have a photo of it before my mate striped it and it had stripes down the sides different to the HZ. They were full length like the HZ but brown in colour and broken lines as they kicked up at the rear, hard to describe but I haven't seen any like it before.

What price range would it be in if I brought it back to original in good condition. I know that's a very controversial question.

Thanks in advance,
    Lenny.

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    I really think you would be mad to not keep it original. There are so many unique WB things on it that will only add collector desirability if it's done right. Not to mention you will not pass rego legally without the WB tailights. You don't have the side repeaters that HZ had. The WB tailights stuck out relegating the side repeaters to the past. The windscreen washers are a dead giveaway as well.
    Agree go original not many of these old jiggers left

Banned
    Price... depends on lots I guess. Is it a 100% job of restoring with photos to prove, would be a big valuer.
    Is there a few people interested in a unusual and top spec WB? I think there would be.
    It's not going to pull top dollar Sandman money, nor should it. There isn't the demand.
    I got offered $15000 for my unrestored but great original WB ute with the same specs. I have seen them advertised for $25000 lately.
    I estimate 15000-20000 for an ordinary resto.
    Maybe $30000 upwards if it's next to spot on and you have a couple interested.
    What does everyone else reckon?

You don't "Make" money restoring cars. Going original WB may minimize your losses, but then again a nice HZ replica can pull $35k these days and might sell easier.

Banned
    Who knows. The arse could fall out of the housing market too. You won't be able to give a panelvan away then.

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Who knows. The arse could fall out of the housing market too. You won't be able to give a panelvan away then.
    It already has over here in the west

InkedDSC_0177[326]_LI.jpgDSC_0175[328].JPGDSC_0176[327].JPG

I date checked the engine which has 25k2 = 25 November 1982 the engine date is 12 months older than the build date but this wasn't uncommon during the 70s & 80s so I recon this is the original engine.

I took a couple of photos not real good as they were a photo of a photo, but gives a better understanding of what I have. Its all stacking up to be an original Van.

Thread Information