Page 26 of 32 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Axistr new project

Banned
    Looks like a painful job! Came up good though.
    Do you reckon you could just mask the rim up and then run a fine flap disc over the spokes and remove the black paint after?

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Looks like a painful job! Came up good though.
    Do you reckon you could just mask the rim up and then run a fine flap disc over the spokes and remove the black paint after?
    Sounds like it would be a great idea ..Will have to try that..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pj350 View Post
    Sounds like it would be a great idea ..Will have to try that..
    CE1D6B9B-8D14-4ADB-A435-E0DC314CDFFB.jpeg

9A51C42D-B383-4D06-BD2A-4136AA967D75.jpeg

That’s my XR I restored. You can see the top fins and the RFVC are not painted. I just ran over them (here’s the catch,I can’t remember if I used wet and dry or a flap disc��)with an abrasive after I painted the engine. You could see that was how Honda did it originally.

Yeah I thought about doing it that way wbute but the spokes had pitting so spraying them would have left black specks of paint everywhere. I used a 1" square sandstone block first followed by 400 grit sandpaper wrapped around the block so the spokes were dead flat and no pits.

Finished off with a light polish then masking off. I then used wax and grease remover so none of the polish caused the paint not to stick. I think if I used a flap disc it would have had distorted the faces on the front of the spokes looking like little ripples.

I probably went the hard way around of doing it but I got the result I was after.

She passed the blue slip today with flying colours. And best of all it drives like a new car. Tune is good and didn't have any annoying rattles or shakes whines. Nice and tame. Just go to get the historical vehicle paperwork signed so I can put the $54.00 per year rego on it.

Woo hoo happy days.

Great result after all the hard work. Congratulations.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Just out of curiosity. Did any sandman or any Holden's come from factory with gavinise plating on the body. I found the under side of the roof inside along the gutters it has gal plating. It's defently plated and not sprayed on. I scraped the floor today and it's also plated. I didn't know they had any gal plating especially around the van gutters.

Quote Originally Posted by axistr View Post
    Yeah I thought about doing it that way wbute but the spokes had pitting so spraying them would have left black specks of paint everywhere. I used a 1" square sandstone block first followed by 400 grit sandpaper wrapped around the block so the spokes were dead flat and no pits.

Finished off with a light polish then masking off. I then used wax and grease remover so none of the polish caused the paint not to stick. I think if I used a flap disc it would have had distorted the faces on the front of the spokes looking like little ripples.

I probably went the hard way around of doing it but I got the result I was after.

She passed the blue slip today with flying colours. And best of all it drives like a new car. Tune is good and didn't have any annoying rattles or shakes whines. Nice and tame. Just go to get the historical vehicle paperwork signed so I can put the $54.00 per year rego on it.

Woo hoo happy days.
    Rego here in NZ for our old girl is 47 dollars a year.
    And for 65 k insurance is 190 dollars a year.
    Costs us more for dog registration a year (90 dollars)?

Cheers Kiwivan
    It is not about the journey,It is the style we travel in!

Ute and van cargo area floors are galvanised. Don't know about the gutters though

I took a photo of the underside of the interior gutter which shows the gal plating. The pinch welds are still visible and is defently plated not sprayed, so I can only think it was factory. This may explain why my gutters were still perfect and no signs of rust. Pity Holden didn't gal the upper and lower tailgates, doors, guards and the list goes on.

DSC_0279_1[3771].JPG

Got a new duel exhaust system fitted last week, sounds frigging awesome. I left it up the exhaust shop and they recommended a duel 2 1/2" system all the way through. Cant believe how much extra performance its picked up. The only mods I did when I rebuilt the engine was a torquer cam and set it at standard pre pollution cam timing, flat top piston, removed a few lumps and bumps in the head port castings and port matched the manifolds and gaskets. And set the carby up properly. If I didn't know better you wouldn't pick it from a decent standard 5lt. The exhaust must be well suited to the minor mods I did. A little extra compression goes a long way I reckon. I have never been a fan of the 253 but this one surprised me. Its got a whole 128km on it so when its run in I can expect a little more.

Decided to take it out yesterday for its first official outing to a local car show. Every second person that walked past stopped and took a photo, then come over and told me how they had an original Sandman way back when. All the experts were telling me about my van and how it was anything from a HQ to an original HZ Sandman. Only one bloke told me it was a WB because it had washer jets in the scuttle tray. Anyway it kept me amused for most of the day. I had the only Panel Van there and there was a trophy for the best Panel Van. I thought wow a trophy on its first car show, then they called out the winner and guess what it wasn't me. Ha Ha you have got to love the judging. I am not a trophy hunter but it does piss me off a bit when the trophy's are decided the day before the show.

Anyway happy with the way its come up and only waiting on the hockey stripes to turn up and its done. (come on Jason)

DSC_0297[3830].JPG

DSC_0298[3829].JPG

Thread Information