Page 16 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Axistr new project

Looks like the bonnet in the last pic needs some work still? haha

Its amazing what you can do with a heap of bog and a shovel.

We have had unexpected warm weather the last three days, so it was the opportune time to get the whole car in Hi-fill. Looks and feels nice and straight. I will let it sit for a week or two and let the paint go nice and hard so I don't easily rub through the edges when I block it all out. I can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel with the body work. I fell like its taken me for ever to get it to this stage. I know I'm slow and haven't done this much body work for at least twenty years and its been a big learning curve since I used to do a bit, and 2pack paints weren't around then.

DSC_0018_3[2157].JPG DSC_0016_3[2156].JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sanding, sanding and more sanding but its coming up super straight, two panels to go. I managed to sand through in a few places so I am going to put 3 more coats of Hi-fill on to be sure and repeat the sanding process. Probably rub out two of the three coats. Its amazing how many tiny little imperfections you pick up when blocking with the guide coat. Didn't pick up any ripples that I couldn't block out so happy about that which means no more body repairs.

When I look at some of the build threads on this forum I am so glad I started with an excellent body. Although I have carried out only minor body repairs its nothing compared to some of the major rust repairs some of your guys have had to contend with.

DSC_0003_3[2284].JPG DSC_0002_5[2285].JPG

Nice work axistr!

You mention that you haven't done this for 20 years further above? Bet your body is feeling it after a big sanding session?

Nice progress, coming together nicely.
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Thanks Innuendo,

Damian, still feeling the effects and that's why I still have two panels to go, hope to finish them next week. Its a bugger last time I did a full respray I was still in my early thirty's. This getting old really sucks. But as my grandfather always said nothing could be worse than the day your riding in the hearse.

Yeah true words axistr. Way back when i was young and bullet proof, i worked for a while as a car stereo installer. Could crawl all around cars every day and not feel sore, but just try and kneel down to check the fuse box today and i'd be on the couch for 24hrs recovering...

Nice to practice our skill sets though. Good to know we've still got them

Cheers

I dropped into my local Bursons auto parts store last week and got them to mix me up some paint samples. Had a few spare metal plates, etch primed sanded and sprayed out the test sample base coat. Let them dry for one hour then hit them with five coats of clear. Samples are straight out of the gun, come up very shiny. will come up even better with a quick sand with 2,000 paper and buff.

Still not sure which colour to go for. I took a few photos in the sun, shade and under lights and they looked different every time. Ok try and pick the colours, both are Holden factory colours. and what's your favourite?

DSC_0005_3[2299].JPG DSC_0004_3[2323].JPG DSC_0006_2[2298].JPG DSC_0010_4[2311].JPG DSC_0011_2[2310].JPG

The lighter blue one.
    Ours is Deauville blue.

Cheers Kiwivan
    It is not about the journey,It is the style we travel in!

Thread Information