Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help. Just brought a van. Is it a Sandman

Learner Driver
    Pretty sure it's a 253 , 4 speed box with 3.08 diff gears by your Id tag details cheers

Sandman Driver
    Hi Philcapo71, just browsing this thread,
    I would suggest you could also have a look at the engine wiring loom, is it GTS? - that is, does it have the factory tacho wire? It's not a definite, because the loom can be changed as well, but it might give you a bit more to think about in your investigation.

Often when people retro fitted a GTS dash cluster they didn't bother/think to change the engine loom - unless they happened to have one - in which case where did it come from?

You could also have a real close look for remnants of welds/ signs of the rear roof lining strip (using a decent torch or good light). If the van was used commercially at some point, (trades etc) it made sense to rip out the roof lining (especially if it got torn) because you get higher cargo space, the left over tangs on the strip at the rear are then exposed/ messy/ catch on clothing etc, so the strip may have been torn off deliberately.

Look for remnants of small circular/ semi circular factory spot weld marks along the roof line above the upper tailgate door. These may just be remnants of a series of rough dots, ridges, or indentations in the steel. They would not necessarily be perfectly straight, and not all of them may apparent. Worth a good look I'd say. If you have a magnifying glass around that might help. (Ok, sure, Girlock over Sherlock - LOL) - Anyway, worth a good look I reckon.
    Last edited by SLR_dave; 17-07-2017 at 01:12 AM.

Sandman Driver
    Pic of rear roof lining strip after trades use of vehicle.

roof lining tangs.jpg

Thread Information