Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WB paint code 568 00135

wb_kingswood_nrma_van_zpsjstoe8wj.jpg

As I remember them the Blue and White WB Vans were the Holden Poverty Pack (what was once known as a Belmont) with the round headlights and silver steel grille.
    Second came what I'm showing in the image where the WB Kingswood replaced them in all white.
    Last edited by Innuendo; 20-05-2017 at 02:34 AM.

inners- Holden never made a WB kingswood van dude - the van above is still a Holden as indicated by the 'Holden badge' behind b-pillar. I also thought round headlights on WB was only 1980. The van of topic is very late 81 from memory.
    BQZ

Banned
    Yep. Round headlights were a failure. Only on early WB Holden. The rectangle were originally only Kingswood. No WB Kingswood van.

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    inners- Holden never made a WB kingswood van dude - the van above is still a Holden as indicated by the 'Holden badge' behind b-pillar. I also thought round headlights on WB was only 1980. The van of topic is very late 81 from memory.
    I only call it a Kingswood because that is the front they eventually used (from what was to be a WB Kingswood Sedan) but didn't eventuate. The round light commercial front was 1980 (and suited commercials better in my personal opinion) this was how I remember the NRMA Panel Vans that were always parked at the NRMA site/garage at the bottom of Bulli Pass. That's not to say the uglier 1980's style Kingswood nose didn't also happen with the same paint two tone paint scheme.

The Kingswood nose that was used on all the later WB commercials was used on the Kingswood Ute in 1980.
    Last edited by Innuendo; 21-05-2017 at 07:26 PM. Reason: reworded and added information

i didnt realise square lights were kingswood only to begin with. Cool fact
    BQZ

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    i didnt realise square lights were kingswood only to begin with. Cool fact
    Yep. But those mutant round lights were a dismal failure. No one wanted a throwback to the 70's so they dropped it and they all got the Kingswood front (which wasn't meant as a commercial front at all, but on the old statesman bodied Kingswood sedan replacement).
    In fact no one wanted the 70's round lights up until about 5 years ago when they started pulling off WB Kingswood fronts and going back to the past.

I think the WB commercial front was actually the "WA" nose which (in styling) dates back to the late 1960's. "W" Platform on which the HQ-WB are based (not "H" series as people get wrong all the time). Whether you like the commercial front or not, much like the Kingswood version is all personal choice. I'm not keen on either. But I felt the commercial front was better suited to basic Holden commercial styling.

Really the Panel Van and Ute shape of the seventies was over by the time the WB was released, it had had it's time. The design was past it's used by date and the nose treatment and hideous traffic light styled taillights weren't enough to drag it into and through another decade. The only problem was they didn't really replace it anything superior. While I was never a fan of the Kingswood nose, I always liked the Statesman nose as it was properly refined and executed. But of course they ended up everywhere and done to death!

i had a yellow WB van with the round headlights - bought it for the GTS wheels it was wearing. Seller devised a system to read fuel levels using a fiberglass rod down through the filler neck! was such a bucket of shit
    BQZ

full length hood lining. no evidence at all of anything having been screwed into the roof at any point
    BQZ

Banned
    I doubt they would have had the full headlining in a NRMA van. The HZ one that comes up on the net doesn't. It has the symbol screwed just above the windscreen and two warning lights on folding arms mounted on the rear of the roof.
    IMG_0146.JPG
    IMG_0145.JPG
    I know the smaller branchs supplied their own service vehicles. Our town used a second hand panelvan and they painted it themselves. Who knows.

Thread Information