Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Towing a car trailer with the van.

is this a stupid question - could a wb 1 tonner carrying 1T in the tray also tow 1.5 times it's unladen mass and still be legal? (assuming tyres and tow bar are rated for extreme weight) thats like 4.5T GCM!!!!!!!!!
    BQZ

I cannot comment on the above, not sure.

However, what I came up with in my case, with the rolling shell minus driveline and enterior, the weight of trailer I will be under capacity, although just.

I do not think I want the risk going the distance I need to go and parts of the M1 I have to do.

Just around town here, I'd do it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    is this a stupid question - could a wb 1 tonner carrying 1T in the tray also tow 1.5 times it's unladen mass and still be legal? (assuming tyres and tow bar are rated for extreme weight) thats like 4.5T GCM!!!!!!!!!
    Be nice if it worked like that!
    You need to check it all out yourselves. It may be possible and I know people do it all the time. I am sure they wouldn't do it if it wasn't legal. But as far as I know Holden didn't give a towing weight for HQ/WB? That limits you to 1.5 times. Towing trailers can be a minefield if you get pulled up. Non rated D shackles on the safety chains is another favourite thing they look for. You shouldn't use a d shackle anyway. It should be a bow shackle. I don't think they worked out that the chain should have been rated as well. Not crossing your chains and no break away coupler on the brakes is a no-no.
    My Hilux is rated at 2.5 tonnes. My table top trailer weighs 900kg. So 1.6 tonnes on it.( It tows 2 tonnes no worries.).
    That's why the big push on advertising for cars with a 3 tonne rated towing capacity over the last couple of years.
    Last edited by wbute; 15-05-2017 at 08:27 AM.

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    Id put it on backwards with no driveline but thats just me
    Totally agree, I picked up a van without the driveline and put it on the trailer forwards, the back of the car looked a little high but I thought I'd get away with it.
    Was all fine until I got out of town and up to about 70k's and it started fish tailing, I was very lucky that there was nobody coming the other way.
    Back into town and backed the van onto the trailer and made the 4 hour trip up the freeway, not at 110 though, without any further incident.
    It would have been a lot easier for me to get a proper tilt tray to pick it up and that's what i'll do from now on.

Cheers.

A company from Gosford wanted $770, Five Dock tow wanted about the same.

Done deal, using a tow company I have used previously they go to Sydney and bring it back to Maitland.

No worries.

- - - Updated - - -

$550

yeah - weight of load forward for sure
    BQZ

I towed my HJ Sandman from Penrith to Toronto behind my HZ. Went Mooney Mooney way as well. I just sat on 90km/h and it went fine.
    Van was facing forward too and had driveline.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by agr071; 15-05-2017 at 11:43 PM.
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

Good to know thanks agro, I'll keep that one in mind for next time for sure.

Just wished I'd got a pic of it on the trailer. :(
    ONLY pic I have of them together is side by side, when the HJ had the normal grille.
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

Check this out. Why you face the car forwards if it has its motor in place.

Thread Information