Thread: HX Sandman Build - Rim & Tyre Query

Learner Driver

HX Sandman Build - Rim & Tyre Query

Hi, I'm currently building an HX Sandman and am wondering what is the widest/best fit for rims (GTS) & tyres (BF Goodrich or Eagers). I was thinking 15” x 7” GTS rims with 4” backspace for front and 15” x 8” GTS rims with 4.5” backspace for the rear. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Banned
    Personally, I would and do use the same size front and rear. After having Hotwire wheels in 7 and 8" never again. You can't rotate tyres and the spare can't be 8" and 7".
    8" look better and a big tyre fills the wheel arches out better.

8" on the rear (depending on tyre width and suspension height) is a good fit, but on the front it may be an issue if you are going to lower it a bit.
    I run 14x6" std GTS on the front of my Sandman with 235/60 tyres and a 2" drop in height without any rubbing at all. On the rear I have 8" GTS wheels with 245/60 tyres and it's also 2" lowered. I get a very slight touching of the tyre to the guard over a big bump on the left hand rear only but it's infrequent and not an issue.
    On my other van I run 14x7" on the front with same suspension height and no rubbing, but I did run 14x8" with 225/60's and it fouled the guards when on full lock sometimes.... this is where 15" might give you some trouble unless you run a very low profile tyre.
    Hope this helps.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by HZSandman78 View Post
    Hi, I'm currently building an HX Sandman and am wondering what is the widest/best fit for rims (GTS) & tyres (BF Goodrich or Eagers). I was thinking 15” x 7” GTS rims with 4” backspace for front and 15” x 8” GTS rims with 4.5” backspace for the rear. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    15x7 225 or 235/50/15 / 15x8 245 or 265/50/15 these sizes are available
    either of these combo will work just depends on the look you want
    i once had van with 265/14/50 TAs on an 8 inch rim lowered no rubbing on the front decades ago
    wouldnt today of course

Banned
    I reckon I would be worried that a 235 on a 6 inch rim was going to roll off the rim under hard cornering. How does it handle?

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    I reckon I would be worried that a 235 on a 6 inch rim was going to roll off the rim under hard cornering. How does it handle?
    I had 235/60 on a 6" rim when I went to Geelong in 2009. I was always that little bit concerned about it with it being loaded and 3 kids in the back, but it wasn't a prblem because I drove accordingly.
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

Seen plenty of cars with stock GTS running the old Steel belted Bridgestone 235/60/14 back in the day
    never seen them come off ever

I had an XE Falcon with 6 x 14 CSA rims. 235/60/14 was all I ever had the whole time I had the car, never any issues.

Thread Information