Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Campers Road Trips

Next up a boat ride on the Barron River on lovely sunny afternoon.

Fun fact, the Kuranda side of the river has been logged extensively up until 30 years ago, the other side is the worlds oldest Rain Forest, over 30 million years old, the dichotomy got me wondering, watching the birds, which side do they prefer, wonder what it looks like from the air. The old forest is so thick you really cant see into it from the river.

The guy who runs the boat tour often see's a Cassowary and can sometimes call it down to the bank for photos and snacks. Not my day.

These little birds have a nest in the top of the boat, under the roof and kept pace with the tour flitting about, they seemed civil enough and let people take their photos.

If the turtles were smaller they might be in trouble but the Croc knows he can't bite through that shell and doesn't bother them. I would happily swim here but was a bit cool that day.

Dam Wall! River is part of a hydro electric scheme, Powers Kuranda and surrounding area

Another little Croc, both would be under 4 foot.

And we're back where we started, 1 hour cruise for $18.00 well worth it.

All Right, next day and we are off to Cooktown.

Had a quick look at Barron Falls and every other lookout I could find on the way.

Famous Barron Falls, pretty tame during the winter.

Headed west and then north at Mareeba

Rifle Creek Rest Area, would be OK for an Overnight stop, toilets etc right by the road, about an hour out of Mareeba. From here the country changes very quickly back to the average Aussie bush.

Black Mountain, getting close now!

and finally, 6 days after I set out, Cooktown!

There are a couple of different view points as you head up to Grassy Hill Lookout

Then it was time to find somewhere to stay for the night.

Absolutely awesome keep the pictures coming
    You do have such a Beautiful country
    I have spent a bit of time in northern Queensland

Cheers Kiwivan
    It is not about the journey,It is the style we travel in!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwivan View Post
    Absolutely awesome keep the pictures coming
    You do have such a Beautiful country
    I have spent a bit of time in northern Queensland

Cheers Kiwivan
    Thanks Mate,

we went on holiday to the South Island when I was little, beautiful over there as well, closest I've ever come to snow was just outside Milford Sound, what an amazing area. Upside down waterfalls! I also really liked the country around Queenstown.

I shopped around a little and ended up at staying the Top Pub, great old wooden pub, still had some character, the wowsers definitely would not have liked some of the posters etc. on the walls.

I actually forgot what day it was (Tuesday) and asked the barmaid as I checked in and paid ($85 for the Family Room - "sorry love all I've got left, renovations") if they would have the State of Origin on tonight, those in the know will know Origin (GO MAROONS!) is always on a Wednesday, so I booked another night...

Had a few drinks with the Locals and a good nights sleep, the view from the balcony was astounding and only slightly ruined by the telephone and power wires.

How good is old mates house on the hill here, a dream of mine to have the only house on a small hilltop, and he gets to overlook the mouth of the river.

Banned
    All good except for the wrong result in the State of Origin. QLD must pay the ref....

So I am off to Winton in the morning, stay Fri - Mon and maybe Monday night in Longreach.

There is a film festival in Winton - Hollywood in the Outback, some classic and new Aussie films being screened in open air cinemas and in the old Town Hall, B list celebrities, Margret Pomaranz and like.

Winton is where Banjo Patterson wrote Waltzing Matilda, the pub he first performed it in is still running - the North Gregory Hotel. It's booked out but looks like I can get in at a caravan park down the road.
    Winton is also famous for Dinosaur remains, the beginnings of QANTAS and Bushrangers.

Longreach is where Captain Starlight used to hang out, also a founding town of QANTAS and has the Stockmans Hall of Fame.

Went back up the lookout in the morning and had a look at the Wine Glass and Finch bay.

Wine Glass bay first;

Remember that boat from Innisfail? It's gotta be the same one right?

The path to Wine Glass bay, don't believe the sign it's more than 800m over the hill, I definitely felt the need for more exercise by the end.

Finch Bay, my pick of spots around Cooktown, you can't camp here but great for a day trip/fishing.

The little creek running down the south end is fresh water and had plenty of fish, but would expect a resident Croc here, perfect conditions for a Salty.

I sat on this log for a while enjoying the sun and watching fish jump.

Here you can see my back up battery charging in the sun while charging my phone.

Looking North

These Rocks were really cool and the kind of spot you can imagine people coming to for a thousand years, good wind break and a little shelter.

Can you see those bumps on the stone above?

Does any one know what they are?

They are golf ball sized, the effect is something like the dimples on a golf ball.
    My best guess is a left over from when the stone cracked off the larger stones behind it plus a millennia of on shore wind erosion.

Looking South

This beach was nearly worth the whole trip! Look at It.

If you look closely at the southern end you might just be able to see a rooftop, someone has a shack here. Midway between the water and the sand dune, just inside the tree line.
    Would love to check it out but figured if you're the type of person to build your shack here you probably don't want visitors.

The next morning I drove back west and south, down to the coast at Port Douglas and back north up the coast to Cape Tribulation, an easy days drive with a few stops along the way.
    Top tip, the bakery cafe at Cooktown was brilliant, good food and great prices.

I nearly forgot, I had a look around at the boat ramp and tried some mystery tracks.

Above is a screen shot of part of a 360 photo, just wanted to give you an idea of the boat ramp.
    I reckon those locals that have their boats on the bank are brave souls, I would not get in the water here.

had a little fun on the way out

Followed the river bank around the back streets and found another little track

Ended up having to reverse out of here, thank God for that rear view camera

did find some sneaky camp spots for next time though

On the esplanade in town, cheeky seagulls trying for a snack.

How big is this Paperbark, biggest I have ever seen. From what I can tell Captain Cook would have pulled up right about where those boats are, fair chance this tree was here back then.

Another drive down the port

Thread Information