Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Campers Road Trips

Sure it wasnt Mick Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    Sure it wasnt Mick Taylor
    It mighta been

Next morning and I'm on the road by 7 heading north towards Millaa Millaa, about 5Hrs drive.

I woke up to Roos sniffing around the camp

those closer to the road were over run by cows, apparently this is a regular thing here.

Starting to seem some water in the rivers, I actually got a little excited about this

The road north of Charters Towers has some 1 lane sections, some of them are a little sketchy, big trucks coming the other way that cannot get off the road, a couple of times I was completely off the road, both wheels in the dirt and dodging holes/signs/markers

I love looking down the side roads, the off shoots, where does that road go?

This was near Innot Hot Springs, I didn't end up stopping here, the commercial pools looked dodgy and the natural pools can be dangerous, super heated water pooling/flowing just under the river sand has sent quite a few people to hospital.

After Innot Hot Springs is Milstream, a wonderful area with classic Aussie bush scenes, with termite mounds and reddish dirt, the road climbs through some mountains and suddenly its alpine like views.

Fast, cold running rivers, Pine trees, everything is green and healthy looking.

Then you burst out onto the table lands and its dairy country, green rolling hills, low clouds and happy cows.

This place see's so much rain even the fence posts are growing.

Found a wind farm, the noise was astounding

Banned
    Looks a picture. Wish we could have some of that rain!
    You sure are enjoying that car!

Stopped in Millaa Millaa at the local for a beer and some take away's. Locals were nice, lovely little town, but, the town's representative seems rather odd...

Then it was time to find camp for the next 2 nights. South Johnstone campground on the banks of the South Johnstone River, which eventually turns into a large river and flows out at Innisfail.

Apparently just 12 Ks off the Palmerston Highway between Milla Milla and Innisfail it was a wonderful spot, but if your car is any lower than mine I would avoid it, I had some close calls getting in and out. Scraping over washouts and the like.

Really glad I did go though, it was the closest to solitude I got on this trip, I went a day and a half without seeing anyone, deep in the rain forest, the only noise was the river and the birds, no phone or radio reception.

The campground is an old logging/forestry site so has a brick hut and long drop toilets.
    The actual campsites are on the low ground and about 15m from the car park, which didn't work for me, so I set up in front of the ranger station, hoping I wouldn't get kicked out.

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Wish we could have some of that rain!
    I know right, it's strange but I got really excited just to see rivers running, green trees/plants everywhere.
    and yet, I still got a little disappointed when it rained almost every day, reminded myself I was in a rain forest and carried on...

I sat by this river, alone in the forest for hours, rum & coke and banging Bluetooth speaker by my side.

Eventually it was time for bed, was really comfy in the back, but I brought too much gear, next time I will pare down quite a bit and leave myself more room.

Next morning and I'm up with the birds, quite literally this time, fuckers were noisy

went for a bit of a walk in the forest

Found my way back just as the rain started, it got cold and grey and a little miserable

So I set up my little shelter, did some camp chores and started drinking again

I hadn't seen anyone for almost 36hrs at this point and was getting pretty loose, dancing around and singing along to the music.

Couple hours later and i fell asleep on the back of the car, music still going, woke up to a slammed door and found I had a neighbor, shut the music off and went quiet, read a book for a bit and drifted off to sleep, it was still raining.
    Neighbor never did come to say hello, so I left him be, single guy in a converted Toyota minivan.

You got way to much shit in the back of that van
    who bring a rubbish bin camping ??

Thread Information