Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Campers Road Trips

Hey Camper

No doubt you experienced the thousands of tiny bats that go mental as you slowly drive through the Boolboonda tunnel.

On our annual 4 day freezing family weekend camping trip to Cania Gorge in June each year we would stop there and let the 3 kids (6,10,12) sit on the bonnet of the VS Commodore wagon circa 2004ish and spotlight the bats using those Supercheap 500 megagazillion watt hand held spotlights to spot all the bats. they used to love it.

If you came from the south and it looks you did, is old mate "Hillbilly Manor" still going with all the old commies and the odd Torana still there?

Did you see the original schoolhouse up on the left?

PS You gotta get a shot of your van in downtown Cracow when next through. As you know those shopfronts are almost from an old Western and I half expect to find the Brady Bunch trapped in a cell when I go through

Sorry not trying to hijack your thread, but you talk of the NT and Jabiru, so I thought I'd send you a quick shot of my fourth van at the then new Crocodile motel taken in 88.

It was a HZ factory 308 T400 GTS dash with that special life in the tropics destruction of metallic paint finish(maybe Sandman ???)

I lived in Darwin then and played AFL, sometimes against Jabiru on their rocky oval. It seems we've been to the same spots over the years
    scan0008.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Blue victor View Post
    Sorry not trying to hijack your thread, but you talk of the NT and Jabiru, so I thought I'd send you a quick shot of my fourth van at the then new Crocodile motel taken in 88.

It was a HZ factory 308 T400 GTS dash with that special life in the tropics destruction of metallic paint finish(maybe Sandman ???)

I lived in Darwin then and played AFL, sometimes against Jabiru on their rocky oval. It seems we've been to the same spots over the years
    scan0008.jpg
    Wow, that Crocodile Motel!

My mum worked there in the late 90's, and I might be just about to hire a chef who is working there now! funny how places and people tend to crop up together!

The Van looks good there, and your'e right about the weather up there destroying that style of paint, so many cars running around with that look.

Seems like you got to travel about a bit in your van, did you have any favourite spots?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue victor View Post
    Hey Camper

No doubt you experienced the thousands of tiny bats that go mental as you slowly drive through the Boolboonda tunnel.

On our annual 4 day freezing family weekend camping trip to Cania Gorge in June each year we would stop there and let the 3 kids (6,10,12) sit on the bonnet of the VS Commodore wagon circa 2004ish and spotlight the bats using those Supercheap 500 megagazillion watt hand held spotlights to spot all the bats. they used to love it.

If you came from the south and it looks you did, is old mate "Hillbilly Manor" still going with all the old commies and the odd Torana still there?

Did you see the original schoolhouse up on the left?

PS You gotta get a shot of your van in downtown Cracow when next through. As you know those shopfronts are almost from an old Western and I half expect to find the Brady Bunch trapped in a cell when I go through

I actually didn't see any bats, I was looking forward to seeing some. A friend has just told me about another old rail tunnel near the Bunya mountains that I will have to look for now, can't drive through but apparently heaps of bats!

I came from Eidsvold, through Mt. Perry and then heading out to Gin Gin, definitely the Hillbilly Mansion is still there, (I was reminded of a mix between Jed Clampett and one of my uncles) I almost stopped off to ask about the Torana's (Family favourite), I saw the school but didn't get out to look at it. Nice area and looks like it stays pretty green through there too. Next time I want to come from Gin Gin and follow the Mt. Perry - Monto road, still dirt in places and looks to have a couple of "interesting" creek crossings. Maybe even finally get to Mingo Crossing.

The shopfronts in Cracow are amazing, like a movie set. I always expect to see a horse tied up at the rails there, real wild west look, some interesting old cars in paddocks around there too.

You're right about the cold at Cania too, only camped there twice, both in winter and deathly cold at night in the swag (any excuse for a huge fire), but absolute bird heaven and I love the ferns and caves. Some good property around there too, although there was that one guy recently who got busted for a few thousand guns hidden in shipping containers underground, apparently getting ready for the apocalypse.

Your Ute still looks new Camper. Seems like only yesterday that you bought it and had the canopy fitted. How many K’s on it now ? Toying with the idea of putting one of those canopies on my VF Sandman Ute as well. Maybe meet you up the track then.
    Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by davegmh View Post
    Your Ute still looks new Camper. Seems like only yesterday that you bought it and had the canopy fitted. How many K’s on it now ? Toying with the idea of putting one of those canopies on my VF Sandman Ute as well. Maybe meet you up the track then.
    Fairly sure I read they are ending production of those canopies the other day. You better check it out in case you miss out.

Will do. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davegmh View Post
    Hi Dave,

nearing 50,000 by the time I'm home again, has just had the 45,000 K 18 month service, now moves to 12 month 15,000 K services. I am averaging 2,500 Ks a month.

I am loving the PPF and Ceramic coating, there are a couple of light scratches through the Protection Film from car doors in carparks, hard to tell if it reached the paint. I am seeing none of the usual rock damage I would expect from dodgy highways/roadworks etc. I have copped a bit of wet tar in places. Has not been professionally detailed, just me giving it the clean at those servo manual car wash spots, no special chemicals or anything.

I have now hit 2 small roo's, a magpie, a wedgetail eagle and 1 giant rabbit with no damage to the front bumper - go the speedliner. I also hit a stork of some kind head on with the windshield at 80 odd Ks with no cracks!

For the canopy I will probably replace the lock mech on the glass door, it is already out of whack and I would like it to be central locked with the other doors, may also look at putting a venting fan on the roof somewhere it doesn't stick out. (I am thinking a marine solar powered unit, stainless steel and self contained like so https://wheelsnboats.com.au/Marine-S...P3164279.aspx# )

I am now hearing some noises (creaks) when the car flexes. Otherwise I am really happy with the canopy.

I have reduced my plans for the back fit out to make it simple, light and adaptable. Now thinking a false floor with two drawers side by side underneath (like you see in the back of a lot 4wds) no extra power or cooking gear. I really like what Drifta is doing with Teflon slides instead of rails and bearings, just using my swag to sleep in with a locking chest running alongside for camping gear etc. It does get quite a bit of dust in the back on dirt roads so a swag would be great to keep my bedding clean, plus I often prefer to sleep outside.

Would welcome a meet up for sure.

I can see myself trading in My van to get one of these in the future.
    Awesome pictures as usual

Cheers Kiwivan
    It is not about the journey,It is the style we travel in!

That Solar Vent Fan looks like the go

Thread Information