Page 10 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Campers Road Trips

Headed back inland towards Lakeland again.

hard to believe this river breaks the banks most every year, water would be a good 10m below the bridge

This would have to be prime Croc territory, couldn't find one. No doubt they saw me.

The view from the Lakeland Roadhouse is spectacular, this is where you would head north again if you were going to the tip, from here to Nanum is rough but graded roads, 600km could take 15 hours

I went south

Back in the forest and heading down the range towards Port Douglas

So much cane

I stopped in at the Mossman George Interpretative centre (Ughhh!) but decided to go no further, you must pay to see the gorge, take a bus from the carpark. We visited here back when it was a dirt road and nobody bothered you.

I remember having a lazy family lunch on a boulder in the middle of the river.

Also it was grey and raining this time, so back in the car and head north

Had a quick look at Daintree Village, turned back and found a boat tour on the Daintree River $20 for 1 & 1/2 hrs - Bargain.

Snek 1, I was leaned out of the boat, under the snake for this shot, scaring the international tourists, those in the know will know it's just a green tree snake.

Snek 2, the guy doing the tour was picking these out from 200m away, I had no chance.

Hows the camouflage here, I would never see him

They lie in under these trees at the edge of the river

The ferry I would later catch across towards Cape Tribulation

Brave birds become dead birds real quick when there is a hungry Croc around, they tell me a 4m one hangs out by the ferry, after we dropped off the other tourists on some rocks there.

On the Ferry, feeling confident it wouldn't tip...

Off the ferry, small farms and plantations intermixed with forest

Back into Jungle Proper

Beach at Cow Bay, 3m Croc seen here earlier that morning, scared the horses (Tourists ride horses along the beach)

Made it to PK's, used to be the hottest backpacker party in the country, more families now

My room, basic, shared toilet/showers etc but comfy, only spent the one night.

Mangrove board walk

Actual Cape Tribulation, couldn't get out on the reef because of bad weather, the trip gets more mundane from here, got some fantastic photo's of Hinchinbrook Island, stayed in Townsville, Mackay and Rockhampton, flew down to Melbourne for a concert, Vanilla Ice and Salt & Peppa!

Will share more when I get back next week.

Have a great weekend folks

Sandman Driver
    Spectacular pics! What an awesome trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Camper View Post
    Thanks Mate,

we went on holiday to the South Island when I was little, beautiful over there as well, closest I've ever come to snow was just outside Milford Sound, what an amazing area. Upside down waterfalls! I also really liked the country around Queenstown.
    Have to agree beautiful country here as well.
    But I do enjoy far North Queensland
    Just love the pics as it does bring back fond memories.
    How is the van running?
    Are you pleased with her?
    Any issues or advice if I were to buy one.
    Thought one day I may have to get one when I find the sandy I have gets too hard to drive

Cheers Kiwivan
    It is not about the journey,It is the style we travel in!

Brilliant pictures Camper, really enjoying this thread.
    The Amcat canopy you had fitted to your Ute, are you still happy with it ? And the 3M clear protection film, is it protecting the Ute as you had hoped ?
    Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

Just a side note
    Is that plasty dip paint on the front of the van.
    Have used it before and it is great,just peel it off when the trips finished

Cheers Kiwivan
    It is not about the journey,It is the style we travel in!

Hi All,

I'm back safe and sound, had a great time, saw some brilliant movies and some wonderful country.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwivan View Post
    How is the van running?
    Are you pleased with her?
    Any issues or advice if I were to buy one.
    Thought one day I may have to get one when I find the sandy I have gets too hard to drive

Cheers Kiwivan
    The van is running perfectly, never a moments hesitation to start, sounds smooth and is still nearly 4,000km til the first service! doesn't get hot, no oil issues, no leaks, will cruise all day at 110 no worries.

I am extremely happy with it, I have never owned a new car before and have only driven anything less than 15yrs old as rental/work cars so may not be the best judge.

It is so easy to drive, get in, push the button to start, select drive and go... cruise control on the steering wheel, slap the gear stick into sport if you need a bit more power to make that gap, remote start, hill hold, crawl at 5ks, reverse camera, heads up display - The VF2 Black Edition really is the best Commodore going, not sure what the end of the year holds, but I can't see them doing any better.

If I had the parts bin to play with I would ask for radar for the cruise control so it automatically follows the car in front, I would love the seats from the HSV (ventilated, heated and magnetic ride suspension), the Limited Slip Diff off the V8s and maybe the ride change ability of the Motor Sport (sport, track modes that I would hack and change to dirt, gravel etc.)

I can see myself adding some of these parts as wrecks come up and towards the end of my 5yr warranty. Would like to get rid of some of the interior trim from V6 and swap for the Calais.

Only real downside I have found is the A pillar issue everyone mentions, it's big and it's in your sight line. However it means a 5 star safety rating sooo... not sure if I would change it. I raised my seating position and learned to look through the side windows more, it's only on extremely tight left handed corners I notice it now.

I was surprised by the lack of a full metal tray (photo's in my original build post), but I guess these really are more sport car than tradie ute these days.

I have given it a fair beating these past few days and it has not only held up but feels ready for much more. The handling is great, I am impressed by the feel in the pedals and steering wheel, when it does let go it is predictable and easy to get back.

I have been on smooth slippery dirt, gravel, sand, black soil plains, half made roads covered in crusher dust, gibbers (fist sized rocks), brand new tarmac and the stock tyres and wheels do a great job of putting the power down and keep me moving.

All in all I am loving it.

Banned
    If it survives gibbas it's not doing to bad.
    My Hilux has massive A pillars too. They certainly obstruct your vision. I reckon the big pillars with the airbag would nearly cause more accidents than they save.

Quote Originally Posted by davegmh View Post
    Brilliant pictures Camper, really enjoying this thread.
    The Amcat canopy you had fitted to your Ute, are you still happy with it ? And the 3M clear protection film, is it protecting the Ute as you had hoped ?
    The canopy has held up well, doesn't affect the handling in high winds, no sign of the seal going and I love the shape, plenty of people stop and ask about it.

Small issues, the back glass does not seal properly against the frame, lets in dust but not rain, have got water inside when washing and poking the hose around, a little more rubber around the edge should do it for water but may need a positive pressure fan to keep the dust out. I would like to have a better way of closing/locking the glass from inside, this is something I will have to address going forward, may have to change the lock mech completely. Would be great if I can get it to lock remotely with the cars key fob.

The film is hard to say so early, certainly small scratches/chips have not appeared and I have heard a few strikes. I have Opticoated over the 3m PPF so not sure which is taking the brunt of small strikes but have had no paint damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwivan View Post
    Just a side note
    Is that plasty dip paint on the front of the van.
    Have used it before and it is great,just peel it off when the trips finished

Cheers Kiwivan
    The black stuff is Speed Liner, it is a spray on Ute bed liner, stronger than steel and very flexible, has definitely paid for itself, it's permanent and the paint had to be scuffed to apply it, only issue going forward may be fading but there are plenty of products to blacken trim.

Lots of Youtube videos about it and other brands, really is strong stuff.

I forgot to mention before I left, I hit a Roo outside of Lakeland coming home from Cooktown.

About 9am, doing 110 around a left hander, up a mountain range, one hand on the wheel, one holding a bottle of water, slowed enough that I didn't lose control and chose to hit him with the front right fender near the wheel. 40kg Roo doing around 100 and no real damage, a little (2mm) panel gap between the front bumper and quarter panel that should pop back Ok.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    If it survives gibbas it's not doing to bad.
    My Hilux has massive A pillars too. They certainly obstruct your vision. I reckon the big pillars with the airbag would nearly cause more accidents than they save.
    Yeah the Gibbers had me worried, I came round a bend going 70odd on dry corrugated dust, over a little creek crossing and onto a plain full of them, can't brake, can't turn and they are banging up underneath. Looks like i picked up a scratch on a wheel but otherwise OK.

Thread Information