Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: VF Series 2 Camper

Hang on ive got holes in my ute tray ??
    Nice looking rig bloody enjoy it

It is Mount. Beerwah and Mount. Tibrogargan for the win, otherwise known to locals as the Gorilla.

when viewed from certain angles it seems as if its a giant sitting gorilla.

a little enhanced but you get the point.

Named by Captain cook as they looked like broken shards of glass from his Aunts glass houses.

The local aboriginal people have a much better story for them.

http://http://www.glasshouse-mountai...al-legend.html

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by davegmh View Post
    Nice rims BTW.
    Thanks,

I kinda like the look, reminds me of 5 daggers in a circle, at night you get the effect that they are not joined in the middle, sorta floating hubs.

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    Hang on ive got holes in my ute tray ??
    You sure do!

Can't see it in these pics but the fuel tank is at the head of the tub just under that thin piece of plastic.

This means I will have to get someone to fabricate an actual tub for me before I can build the sleeper/camper in there, kinda glad I found it now though, could be worse in the future, could've been sleeping on a fuel tank.

BUT, it also means I can use every inch of space back there so win/lose we are all better for the game...

You ever looked underneath a Falcon tub Liner? Yours looks like the Titanics hull compared to those ones.

Steer away from icebergs then.
    Disclaimer: I am not an expert.

Quote Originally Posted by davegmh View Post
    Steer away from icebergs then.
    Oh shit

Quote Originally Posted by playwme View Post
    You ever looked underneath a Falcon tub Liner?
    Forsooth, I'll have you know I never looked twice at a ford!

Nah, I'm loving the car, just get a little out of sorts when things don't go the way I planned.

Hey all,

the Speed Liner and Rust Proofing is done!

Fritz at DT Rust proofing has done an amazing job, can't believe how fine the lines/finish are, every other Linex/rhino liner/ Speed Liner job I've seen has quite a bit of over spray and uneven messy lines.

This Guy has it down to an art form, Thanks again Fritz!

Link to DT Rust Proofing below, no I did not get a discount for advertising, just believe in letting people know about good work and will continue to do so.

http://www.dtrustproofing.com.au/

Is there a reason you did this ???

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    Is there a reason you did this ???
    Yeah, sure is, TLDR: for protection.

The idea behind this build is to make my ultimate road tripping machine. I want to be able to drive it on terrible, out back, one lane dirt and gravel roads without worrying that a stray rock/branch or small animal strike will ruin my ride.

This stuff is amazingly strong, like for real strong, and flexible. It was invented to stop small arms fire penetrating fuel tankers. There are bunch of great videos on YouTube about Linex and the like.

I want to drive this thing over roads I probably shouldn't, for days on end all over the country. I want to park under a tree without worrying about a bird or bat shitting on my car. I want to push down overgrown tracks just to see whats down there, without worrying about the "bush pin striping" that is inevitable.

Why didn't I just buy an old 4WD?
    I grew up on driving holidays in old diesel 4WD's, long, hot days with 3 of us on a bench seat getting burnt by the trans tunnel. My step dad wouldn't go over 80 kph, it takes a looong time to get from Alice Springs to anywhere at 80 kph with maybe the last few K's on every 3rd day that actually require a 4WD.

So my dream car needs to be quick.
    (210 KW, 0-100 in 6 sec.)

I can only justify 1 car, I regularly drive 1,000 Klm's in a day on back country highways for work, roads that are currently eating my Lancer alive but certainly don't need 4WD.
    So it needs to be comfortable, and tough.
    (great seats, adaptive cruise control, steering wheel controls, auto dimming headlights, HUD)

I'm a single man, have a week off at a time and want to do lots of road trips. I love a waterfall/gorge/beach/forest/dessert/national park, but can only do it if its cheap.
    So it needs to have room for sleeping, cooking equipment and only needs 2 seats.
    (Sandman!)

I will do a lot of K's so it needs to be good on fuel consumption. Low profile, modern engine, reliable.
    (6L per 100 K's, capped price servicing, 10 years of roadside assist from Holden!) In time when/if I save the money I'd like to consider taller diff gears and a supercharger, I might get it down to 5Lt per 100 K's.

I want to show people that you do not need a 4WD to get to amazing places, stop waiting and planning, just go!
    So it needs to be 2WD.

I dream of making my hobby pay for itself somehow, it would be great if the car stood out from the crowd, made people approach me, was noticed on the road.
    (Jungle Green Sandman)

I liked the Holden Adventura, but it didn't go far enough off road, wasn't quite right on the highway and didn't have the space in the back for a solo traveler.

I've put a lot of daydreaming time into this and have a lot more planned, the next step will be a minute.

For now it is protected and ready to go, I can throw a butane stove, an esky and a mattress in the back and be right for a few days.

Thread Information