Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Oil filters, what do,you like?

Oil Filter brand Magnafilter use the magnets within the filter. I have a Lisle brand magnetic sump plug in my FB engine and gearbox these were an option from the middle of the 1950's for Holden. Also has a Wibroc magnetic dip stick. Even the oil filter was an option in itself.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Oil Filter brand Magnafilter use the magnets within the filter. I have a Lisle brand magnetic sump plug in my FB engine and gearbox these were an option from the middle of the 1950's for Holden. Also has a Wibroc magnetic dip stick. Even the oil filter was an option in itself.
    I assume the FB has a grey motor? No standard oil filter? The optional one was only a bypass one wasn't it? Next to no oil went through it? I also see that one of the companies that made the kit was... Ryco. No wonder magnetic dip sticks and dump plugs were the go to item for grey motors.

Yeah Grey Motor with external bypass filter set up. Made by Fram, AC Delco and Ryco.
    Although I have the filter and magnetic dipstick and plugs. Holden sold the Grey motor for 15 years without any of these as standard.
    Filters were either cartridge or paper rolls.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Yeah Grey Motor with external bypass filter set up. Made by Fram, AC Delco and Ryco.
    Although I have the filter and magnetic dipstick and plugs. Holden sold the Grey motor for 15 years without any of these as standard.
    Filters were either cartridge or paper rolls.
    Hard to believe they ran reliably without a filter! Then I guess a lot of the time filters get changed and have nothing in them. I always look in my dirt bike/farm bike filters. They are a paper filter with no outer case. They seem clean to the eye.

Try this video for oil filter history.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's the full Baldwin training package link. Its very usefull

http://www.baldwinfilter.com/resourc...etraining.html

Sand rig
    The Auto Makers are going back to cartridges again, my daughters car has one on top of the motor, the plastic case has a nut molded into it. Just so happens a oil sending unit socket fits it, I gotta say it is easy to change but the paper filter is 3 times the price of the spin on types. And I can see the case cracking.
    One day junkyarding, I found 2 nos 1960 cartridge gaskets, they were in a 1960 Cadillac Glovebox, my daughters teacher has. 1960 Cadillac, I gave them to him. They were in the orig envelopes. Lol his '60 Caddy has the Cartridge filters, real messy he says on a oil change. I'd convert it to a spin on I think. Those engines used to get all sludged up, maybe the filters for them are better now. Plus oil is better these days too.

Sand rig
    I heard Bosch filters are good?

Sand rig
    I picked up Fkeet Gaurd for the next oil change. Never use em before.

Thread Information