Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oil filters, what do,you like?

I use Ryco. Change my oil and filter every 5000km (or thereabouts). Never had any problems in over 400,000km of driving old Holden V8s

Sand rig
    They are pricey, Baldwin are good quality I heard.

https://www.partsales.com/search/cat...FVK1wAodaowDMA

Banned
    I go to a filter shop for my farm filters. They supply Baldwin for bigger diesels but I have been getting their Sakura fuel filters for the couple of Toyotas I have with D4D's but I use ryco oil filters on them. John Deere are still servicing my tractor so I guess they are genuine.
    One thing I find frustrating is the ridiculous amount of different styles of filters that mostly do the same thing. Why did Holden use Z30 on 253/308 but Ford used something else? I bet the only difference is the thread. Yet the 354 Perkins in my old Inter tipper uses a Z9 and so does my Toyota Forklift (which is petrol) and my old 91 2.8 diesel Hilux uses Z9 as well.
    Ah filters drive me nuts. I have an old fridge in my shed with about 25 different filters in it so I can service my farm machinery. They are should have standardised 50% of them.
    The old Inter 5088 tractor I just sold had $700 of filters on it! It also held 165 litres of transmission/hydraulic oil. Servicing it cost a fortune. Glad it's gone.
    Last edited by wbute; 09-02-2017 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Typo

I know Baldwin very well as my old company used them exclusively worldwide. Interesting thing i learnt from them is they actually make other brands of filters in their own factories under contract. A lot of the fitters used to complain about the Baldwin filter thread vs a Fleetguard or CAT filter as its a pressed thread and not cut, however all of the filters were coming out of the same factory, its just that the external OEM (like Fleetguard) would ask for a different build spec. Regardless of that, the Baldwin brand passes very stringent filtration specifications and should be well regarded.

Also, regarding the first post, full flow filters must be used where the application is in the main oil circuit and bypass filters are for when you connect a bypass oil circuit and filter some of the oil through intense media material. The oil slows right down but gets better filtration. The full flow filter has to be able to pass main oil pressure without creating restriction so the media material is a higher micron rating for better flow and hence lets more dirt pass through.

Search for the Baldwin College Training online. Its very good at explaining this.

Leadfoot
    As a supplier of filters to the parts divisions of some major car companies there are a number of comments that are correct. WB Ute knows that many are similar or identical filters and just branded or numbered differently. Often they are the same filter renumbered when a model changes and often one car brand is the same as a different brand. Ryco often list one part number a suiting a range of vehicles.As Damienengland knows some factories produce the same filter under different car company or aftermarket packaging. Reputable brands regardless of car company or aftermarket usually comply with regular testing to ensure conformance. Having a bad batch and doing a "recall" is a costly exercise that people want to avoid. The initial testing and sample submissions are very rigorous, and those records are retained for a long time. There are so many factors involving engine operation that people are quick to point to the filter first. Often it is traced to some other problem. It is like a car where everyone can make their own choice of brands. It is often the case of you get what you pay for. If you have an expensive machine or engine why try and cut a few dollars off your investment by buying something that is not 100% suitable.

It is interesting to see where the local manufacturing costs have become too high to be profitable here nowadays. Years ago (early 90's) I had a look through GUD's manufacturing line and their testing facilities and was blown away by their commitment to setting a very high standard at the time. Although from what I understand they haven't manufactured here since the mid 2000's I understand they still have the testing faclities here greg?

I usually grab my filters from Repco (always buy Ryco where possible though) and to this day if you put a ROF (whatever number it is) against the equivalent Ryco Z30 the difference is immediate.

This is opinion only, not bagging anyone... I'm not sure about nowadays but the Repco oil filters always seemed of a lighter construction/not as much filter media back when they first came out. Recently I serviced my LS1 and couldn't get a Ryco filter for it so got a Repco one and it seemed to be not as heavy as the Ryco ones I'm used to.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Sand rig
    I recently bought my first Baldwin filter, I had to order it online, after seeing the fram,filter get cut open and was crap on the inside I will never use those, I see alot of Fram filters on cars like Ferraris at shows. You do see Baldwin on them as well. The Baldwin feels like a quality filter. Even the case feel stiffer.

Leadfoot
    Ryco still have their testing facility in Sunshine and proud of the work it does checking their overseas suppliers product before it reaches the market. They also check on other importers and product in the market. The weight of a filter is not always an indication. The metal thickness and material may confuse you. It is the inside design and filtration material that determines the effectiveness of a filter. As Ryco are a major player in the aftermarket they can test, check and compare ALL filters. In most cases they have something identical and can cross reference it. If not, and there is a potential for sales, they can send it to one of their suppliers to reverse engineer it.
    Firstly they would take a series of test readings and record them. Then cut open the original filters and check the materials and design. Then make up a new filter to match the original. Eventually you have a similar and competitive product in the market, often at a lower price than the Car Companies spare parts department. That allows the customer freedom of choice. With buying locally you can take a product back if it doesn't meet expectations where something ordered on line is not so easy to replace and no guarantee you are getting the correct item
    Last edited by gregbark; 09-02-2017 at 04:18 PM. Reason: additional comment

I like the spanner nut and wire tie-off on the K&N HP Series.
    As I was a distributor of Pennzoil I had access to the full Pennzoil range along with Purolator (which Pennzoil owned back then).
    Since then company has been sold to Shell and I believe Purolator sold on again. Pennzoil (Shell) stopped sales in Australia, so I needed an alternative.

Seems most filters in the States are from 1 of 4 manufacturers with Champion Labs makers of a lot of well know brands.
    It should also be mentioned that OEM filters and thus all filters are designed, made and tested for a certain weight of oil. Moving away from the recommended manufacturers oil weight can make a difference with flow and filtering.

Then you have mineral vs synthetic oil. So it's not all black and white.

That said, all major brands are likely to do the job they were intended to do.

After my first ever service on my VF SS ute i noticed an oil leak under my ute
    took it back to mechanic OEM filter was faulty leaking around the top rim
    it can happen with bad batches of oil filters

Thread Information