Thread: White HQ ute – what colour venetian?

P Plater

White HQ ute – what colour venetian?

I am hoping the at the learnered members of this great forum can offer me their advice...

I have an original white HQ ute that I got back onto the road in April 2016.

Now that the warmer weather has arrived, I am finding that the sun shining through the back window on my (bald L) head is a great way of triggering headaches (I also suffer from migraines).

Rather than just not driving the ute on nice summer days, I thought about installing a rear window venetian.

I have an original genuine Holden accessories brochure for the HQ range that lists rear window venetians as an OEM accessory option but it does not state what colour they are.

Questions-
    1.What would be period correct… a white or black venetian?

2. Forgetting period originality, what colour venetian would look better? (would a white venetian on a white ute be too much?)

3.Before I buy a new venetian, does anyone in Adelaide have a second hand one they’d like to sell? (worth a try I guess )

I guess that the other option is an external plastic ‘Aunger style’ louver but I’m not as keen on the ‘look’ of these and they are no longer manufactured (but venetians are).

Thanks in advance!

Sandman Driver
    Interesting to know you can still get those venetians. I wouldnt mind some one day for my Kingy wagon. Who makes them? They are a bit of a family vacationer item though (lol) but I reckon they can look good, adds interest, and it is a period accessory, lots of people went for them in the day - useful.

I can only recall having seen them in white. White on a white ute works I reckon, classic in fact. (Just my opinion).

Banned
    You could tint the window. Just don't go too dark or you can't see through them at night especially in undercover car parks.

Originally for HQ they are Black as a GMH Accessory.
    If you are after one that meets or exceeds current Australian Design Rules (ADR's)
    They can be order in White also with the colour change option.

www.earlyholdens.com/venetians

Part #NAS0914

Go white and look cool

P Plater
    Quote Originally Posted by SLR_dave View Post
    Interesting to know you can still get those venetians. I wouldnt mind some one day for my Kingy wagon. Who makes them? They are a bit of a family vacationer item though (lol) but I reckon they can look good, adds interest, and it is a period accessory, lots of people went for them in the day - useful.

I can only recall having seen them in white. White on a white ute works I reckon, classic in fact. (Just my opinion).
    As well as Innuendo's link, you can also buy wagon ones from eBay (seller has both black & white for sale) - ie http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HQ-J-X-Z-...wAAOSwT6pVvrUG

- - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Originally for HQ they are Black as a GMH Accessory.
    If you are after one that meets or exceeds current Australian Design Rules (ADR's)
    They can be order in White also with the colour change option.

www.earlyholdens.com/venetians

Part #NAS0914
    Thanks for the info. How do you guys know this stuff? Memory?

I actually had my eye on these (local seller to me so no postage);
    White - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/371829157...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Black - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/371843010...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I don't know how the quality compares to the earlyholdens.com ones though? (Can't imagine there'd be to many venetian manufacturers left though)

- - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    Go white and look cool
    Yeah, even my mother suggested white!

- - - - -

Anyone else got any suggestions/opinions?

P Plater
    Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    if your ute is all bog stock i think white is a no brainer. if you have lowered it with a set of wheels and a v8 i think maybe black
    She's completely stock...

Defiantly white

P Plater
    Well... thank you everyone who responded. I went with popular opinion and get a white (antique white actually) venetian.

For those that are interested, I did a bit of Google searching and discovered that the eBay seller I provided links for is actually a local Adelaide business O'Brian's Auto Shades (http://www.autoshades.com.au). They also sell direct from their factory slightly cheaper than their eBay price and I avoided having to pay postage.

For those that can't be bothered with going to their website, here his an expert from their website...
    "O’Brien Auto Shades is a proud South Australian company with a rich history dating back to 1948 when William “Bill” O’Brien established his business. Bill was the forerunner to the immense success the family has achieved so far, creating one of the most iconic vehicle accessories and its reputation as a quality manufacturer.
    Three generations later, the O’Briens continue to skilfully hand craft each auto shade, using traditional methods and tooling.
    "

To be honest I was pleasantly surprised to discover venetians are still made locally (not overseas). I always like to support local small business where possible.

Thanks again

Thread Information