Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holes in roof gutter

P Plater

Holes in roof gutter

This is why you don't drill holes in your roof gutters.RIMG0006 (2).jpgroof gutter 1.JPGroof gutter 1.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

well lve my van for 27yrs l have holes in gutter never had a problem when l done full resto l didnt find any rust .
    l dont even wash me van now and try not to drive in the rain

That is a pretty good advertisement for drilling holes.
    The fact you still have gutters is proof that they should be there.
    That's not to say you haven't made a point. They need to be sealed and painted to avoid moisture entering between panels.

Banned
    I guess that is the several layers of steel layered together. When you drill holes it lets the moisture wick in between the layers? As far as I can see if you have a Sandman now you really should keep them in a shed and it adds to my theory that all the good rust free vans being "saved " and moved to the coast is really going to make them rare in twenty years time.

When i do my resto im goin to KBS the under side of the turret ive had holes on mine for 27 years rust free gutters
    Spray some rust converter in there and then paint

Firewall seams go the same way if water can get in past the original seam sealer and into the seam between plenum and firewall. Look for a tell tale stain very similar to the one pictured on the inside of the footwell.
    Nunc est bibendum...

yeah i had a plenum and cowl repaired by an old skool panel beater back in the day. still leaked water on the floor. must have been seal from heater ducting or seam sealer missing in the gap between ay

im still get to find a perfect pair of floor pans in any H or W series car. If they havent rusted in plenum or cowl the Fujkgi heater core has let go and rusted the passenger side floor!
    BQZ

Cruiser
    I've got a few nth west nsw front floors and cowl statesman , full floor cut from a tonner ,a Wb ute I just got , no rust anywhere, little rough but about to be my daily and the ute I've had in the shed stripped and primed for the last 25 years but yes they are hard to find.

yeah i've heard of some great cars out of nw NSW
    BQZ

Banned
    Very thin on the ground that's for sure. My WB ute is completely rust free luckily. It's spent it's entire life around Central West NSW and been shredded. My Sandman has a few patches though. I have a WB Statesman shell that's got perfect plenum and floors which I guess might be used in it in the year 2050.
    Last edited by wbute; 10-01-2017 at 07:50 AM.

Thread Information