Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Holes in roof gutter

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    Very thin on the ground that's for sure. My WB ute is completely rust free luckily. It's spent it's entire life around Central West NSW and been shredded. My Sandman has a few patches though. I have a WB Statesman shell that's got perfect plenum and floors which I guess might be used in it in the year 2050.
    Speaking of "rust free" ...... I recall a NOS windowless H body van shell advertised in Unique cars for $6,500 around the late nineties. It was in NSW and a black and white ad with it sitting on timber on a box trailer in a suburban driveway. It looked white in color which I thought was odd because all NOS panels are blackish?? At the time I thought he's a "dreamer" seeing as you could buy a very nice streeter for about $12 -$15k, and a clean genuine sandman for possibly less.

Is anybody sitting on a NOS factory shell?

Has anyone ever seen one, I have seen a few commodore (VN etc) at wreckers who must've bought old stock going reasonably cheap, but never a van.

I assume they can only be used for rebody as they would have no tags at all

What would that shell sell for today?

P Plater
    I think Innuendo is right if you are going to drill holes you need to get it right. The problem with this hole is it's been drilled too close to the roof body. If you look closely at the pic taken from the top you can just see the two folds in the sheet metal coming together & there's a small gap which let water in.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue victor View Post
    Speaking of "rust free" ...... I recall a NOS windowless H body van shell advertised in Unique cars for $6,500 around the late nineties. It was in NSW and a black and white ad with it sitting on timber on a box trailer in a suburban driveway. It looked white in color which I thought was odd because all NOS panels are blackish?? At the time I thought he's a "dreamer" seeing as you could buy a very nice streeter for about $12 -$15k, and a clean genuine sandman for possibly less.

Is anybody sitting on a NOS factory shell?

Has anyone ever seen one, I have seen a few commodore (VN etc) at wreckers who must've bought old stock going reasonably cheap, but never a van.

I assume they can only be used for rebody as they would have no tags at all

What would that shell sell for today?
    I had pictures of a "body in white" WB van body that was for sale around 10 yrs ago but have misplaced them. Back in the day new body shells were available as a spare part and came pre-painted white, hence they were known as a "body in white". They came with a body tag and a GMP part number stamped on the plate, along with the paint code and body number. Panel shops generally removed this tag and installed the original tags from the old wrecked body.
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Banned
    I had photos of a van for sale on here a while ago. It had the GMPA tags still on it.

I had photos of a van for sale on here a while ago. It had the GMPA tags still on it.
    Yep, I remember that, I explained what the tag was.
    Last edited by Innuendo; 24-01-2018 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Fix my English to be gooda!
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Innuendo View Post
    Yep, I remember that, I explained what the tag was.
    That would be it. Buggered if I can find the thread though.

That would be it. Buggered if I can find the thread though.
    http://www.mysandman.com.au/forums/s...4-Strange-trim
    Selling HJ 253 Engine
    Engine Number QR718*** | 19M5 Clock Casting at 6 O'Clock
    19th December 1975 Suit HJ Late Dec 1975 to April 1976

Banned
    Thanks innuendo

Learner Driver
    I've drilled holes in mine mine is an original Sandman panel van I have no rust there but I certainly have it further down towards the back of the car near the roof it's a challenge to get it all especially when these parts cannot be bought then I'm doing a restoration and hopefully a couple of years and should be finished don't leave them out exposed to moisture because they rust like crazy

Thread Information