Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Restoing Dash control nobs

P Plater

Restoing Dash control nobs

Not sure if it's nobs or knobs, anyway I would like to repaint the white decal on mine. Can anyone help with the best paint to use or advise how best to do the job?

Cruiser
    Not sure but I keep removing them from cars till I get the best ones to use or maybe you can get aftermarket?

Dawso, if the knobs have recessed patterns & you have a steady hand you could use a paint marker pen, they come in different nib sizes , a rag with a bit of turps or similar to keep the White where you want it to be

P Plater
    I hate throwing things away and too tight to buy aftermarket. The nobs are fine except the raised decals are greasy brown (ex owner was a mechanic). Yes a white touch up pen sounds like a good option rather than trying to mask and spray. Just need someone with a steady hand. Thanks for your help.

Banned
    Try jiff. It works great on dirt bike plastics. Or even steel wool with the soap in it that you use in the sink. It's great on plastic too.

wait till the wife out and chuck them in the dishwasher

P Plater
    I have just realised how clever Holden were with the design of those knobs. The symbol is an extruded part of the white insert in the back of the black knob, it's not painted, it's solid white plastic so I scrapped the touch up paint idea and tried preposol but no difference. Then thanks to your help, some Jiff + elbo grease + plastic polish = good as new...way to go.

Sandman Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawso View Post
    I have just realised how clever Holden were with the design of those knobs. The symbol is an extruded part of the white insert in the back of the black knob, it's not painted, it's solid white plastic so I scrapped the touch up paint idea and tried preposol but no difference. Then thanks to your help, some Jiff + elbo grease + plastic polish = good as new...way to go.
    Interesting Dawso, what model Holden are you working on?

Cruiser
    Hj-z radio knobs headlight and lighter are the same type he is working on cleaning up , I havnt tried cleaning mine up but will now , I just collect better ones to use .

P Plater
    Mine is a HZ. I just put my order for a retrosound push button car radio to match the original. Hopefully my just restored knobs will go on it. Has anyone out there got one to comment on? I know it will fit in the standard holes and it does all of the modern stuff, now just concerned about fitting the original knobs.

Thread Information