Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What product to preserve, protect, and to stop vinyl trim drying and cracking

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sandman Driver
    Nice photo Geopaj.

Just while the topic regarding vinyl/plastic restorers/polishes is there; I saw a tip online a while back to use petroleum jelly on auto plastics (dash, external bumper rubbers, window seals etc .. ah not the seats of course.. )

The online consensus seemed to be, that it doesn't cause cracking or do any harm to most plastics, you apply it and buff it off, stops being sticky almost immediately, and then slowly wears off after a few weeks. So it lasts longer than a product like armor all. I haven't tried it on old Holden plastics though, I've got a spare dash or two, I should probably give it a test, but I gave it a go on a 93 Hilux I was getting through rego. 40 mins relaxed effort and the dash and surrounds, and all interior rubber and vynyl and exterior plastic, particularly the faded black bumper corners came up looking real good, it didn't seem to do any harm, faded over a month. (and its $1.60 a small jar, which did the whole car).... Just whilst the topic is being discussed, thought I'd share that. Probably would work well on those foot well rests, but I'd be careful on the dash crashpad on an older Holden though, I dunno if it would help or hinder it - could be either. Definately good on exterior seals, bumperette grommets etc mudflaps probably.

P Plater
    You may have got yourself sorted but regarding products to resto old vinyl, about three years ago I bought a spray bottle of Bowdens Own Vinyl Care for my Rex at the time. It was rubbish on the Rex vinyl but fantastic for old vinyl. Just wash and scrub with warm soapy water, then follow the instructions when applying the Bowdens.

P Plater
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawso View Post
    You may have got yourself sorted but regarding products to resto old vinyl, about three years ago I bought a spray bottle of Bowdens Own Vinyl Care for my Rex at the time. It was rubbish on the Rex vinyl but fantastic for old vinyl. Just wash and scrub with warm soapy water, then follow the instructions when applying the Bowdens.
    Awesome. Thanks mate, I'll grab some.

P Plater
    Quote Originally Posted by Geopaj View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawso View Post
    Awesome. Thanks mate, I'll grab some.
    I just wanted to provide some feedback... I grabbed a bottle of Bowden's 'Vinyl Care' (http://www.bowdensown.com.au/vinyl-care) and was pleasantly surprised to finally find a product that actually does what is reported on the bottle.

In fact, the whole Bowden's story, including their car collection, is an interesting read.

Thanks Dawso for the suggestion.
    Last edited by Geopaj; 22-12-2016 at 12:26 AM.

Thread Information