Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What product to preserve, protect, and to stop vinyl trim drying and cracking

That is one very clean HQ, keeping vehicles out of the sun is certainly the way to go. Congratulations on your purchase.

Cheers.
    "Proud To Be An Old Fart".

Cruiser
    the only way to keep it clean and mint is to sell it to meee ha go the utes well done

Very nice!

An old trimmer once told me windex is the best for keeping vinyl and leather clean and also conditioned.

I know i was a bit shocked but its what he recommended.
    Owner (Jason) - STICKTHIS Automotive Decals and Stripes

HX Sandman Panelvan. Mint Julep. Complete Factory Resto.
    HZ Sandman Ute. Saddle Tan Metallic - Customised. Galaxy Blue.
    HZ GTS. Palais White. Next Resto From 99% NOS Parts.
    HSV GTO Coupe - Highly Modified
    VR SS into a VS Supercar Castrol Perkins Ingall 1997 Tribuilte build

Leadfoot
    Jason, You have been watching that Greek wedding video too many times. Maybe you have Windex in your blood.

Do not use armoall as it has alcohol in it
    Cheers Kiwivan
    It is not about the journey,It is the style we travel in!

Cruiser
    thats so funny greg good one armouroil dont use thats for sure

P Plater
    Thanks for the positive feedback! I didn't think there'd be much interest.

I must say, I love this forum it is a real wealth of information.

Seeing as people are interested, here's one last picture. I know it's weird but it's one of my favourites - it shows on the kick panel a 'driver' oil and grease reminder that both are due in early 1976 (when I bought the ute the kick panels had been removed and speakers installed. As you can imagine, I was very excited when I found both kick panels (including '76 service reminder) safely stored under the bench seat!

Quote Originally Posted by gregbark View Post
    Jason, You have been watching that Greek wedding video too many times. Maybe you have Windex in your blood.
    haha! I had to google what you was on about Greg!
    https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Aqzz/windex-...reek-wedding-2

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Geopaj View Post
    Thanks for the positive feedback! I didn't think there'd be much interest.

I must say, I love this forum it is a real wealth of information.

Seeing as people are interested, here's one last picture. I know it's weird but it's one of my favourites - it shows on the kick panel a 'driver' oil and grease reminder that both are due in early 1976 (when I bought the ute the kick panels had been removed and speakers installed. As you can imagine, I was very excited when I found both kick panels (including '76 service reminder) safely stored under the bench seat!

The service sticker. Can you take a photo? Id be interested to see it!
    Owner (Jason) - STICKTHIS Automotive Decals and Stripes

HX Sandman Panelvan. Mint Julep. Complete Factory Resto.
    HZ Sandman Ute. Saddle Tan Metallic - Customised. Galaxy Blue.
    HZ GTS. Palais White. Next Resto From 99% NOS Parts.
    HSV GTO Coupe - Highly Modified
    VR SS into a VS Supercar Castrol Perkins Ingall 1997 Tribuilte build

P Plater
    Quote Originally Posted by stickthis View Post
    The service sticker. Can you take a photo? Id be interested to see it!
    Hi sorry for my delayed response - I had to go interstate for a few days.

I'm happy to help (though I was a bit disappointed Jason, that I never got a reply from you to the PM I sent you back on 5/3/16 about advise and purchasing decals).

It's not a 'sticker' - it is a 'card' similar to manila folder material, and was inserted into the chrome card holder on the kick panel in my previous picture. As the card doesn't have any Holden insignia on it, and due to the fact that the ute was owned by a large fleet company (a "mining entity" according Holden Historical Services), I'm assuming the the servicing was done in-house rather than by a Holden dealer.

Sandman Driver
    Nice photo Geopaj.

Just while the topic regarding vinyl/plastic restorers/polishes is there; I saw a tip online a while back to use petroleum jelly on auto plastics (dash, external bumper rubbers, window seals etc .. ah not the seats of course.. )

The online consensus seemed to be, that it doesn't cause cracking or do any harm to most plastics, you apply it and buff it off, stops being sticky almost immediately, and then slowly wears off after a few weeks. So it lasts longer than a product like armor all. I haven't tried it on old Holden plastics though, I've got a spare dash or two, I should probably give it a test, but I gave it a go on a 93 Hilux I was getting through rego. 40 mins relaxed effort and the dash and surrounds, and all interior rubber and vynyl and exterior plastic, particularly the faded black bumper corners came up looking real good, it didn't seem to do any harm, faded over a month. (and its $1.60 a small jar, which did the whole car).... Just whilst the topic is being discussed, thought I'd share that. Probably would work well on those foot well rests, but I'd be careful on the dash crashpad on an older Holden though, I dunno if it would help or hinder it - could be either. Definately good on exterior seals, bumperette grommets etc mudflaps probably.

Thread Information