Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lifters - hard or soft

Lifters - hard or soft

So I've got all WB 202 lifters out of the engine and my mechanic mate is telling me that they are likely to be old and hard so I should replace them. Thing is I've read that being hydraulic they should be hard and if soft then they could be shagged.

I had to buy one new one and it's so soft (no oil so no pump) I can depress with my finger tip. The ones that are in the car won't squash when I'm leaning right over them with a phillips

So hard or soft..ish? which is correct

Ta
    BQZ

The old ones are full of oil. They should, however compress a bit when you lean on them, otherwise they have turned into solid lifters which is not what you want. You can pull them apart and clean them up, they are probably full of sludge. Your mate is right.
    The new one will fill up and "pump up" once it gets oil pressure, but they should never be hard.
    Reinstall each lifter in the position they came out of or they need to be reground or replaced.... each one is "mated" to the lobe it's spent time following.
    I recommend replacing the lot.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Just replace the lot there not that expensive

yeah i was telling Big Rob i have never heard this bucket run so I am reluctant to chuck money at an engine that possibly would be better off as an anchor on my bro's boat
    BQZ

for peace of mind replace them cheap as better now than later with tapping rattles and dodgee rocker arm adjustments

If the motor turns out to be no good you can always pull the good stuff out and reinstall it in another motor later.... It's a good investment.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    yeah i was telling Big Rob i have never heard this bucket run so I am reluctant to chuck money at an engine that possibly would be better off as an anchor on my bro's boat
    Got a fully recon 186 block if you need another red 6 its got all the good internals new pistons rings bearings star fire rods etc etc done 1000 miles

OH! If only you weren't in Perth.... I need a 186 for my LC Torana.

cheers dude
    BQZ

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    OH! If only you weren't in Perth.... I need a 186 for my LC Torana.
    Chuck it on a pallet would only be about $120 freight
    only reason i took it out off my Torana is i put my original JL motor back in my GTR Rob

Thread Information