Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6cyl CAM INSTALL - HELP!

6cyl CAM INSTALL - HELP!

Having an absolute biatch of a time trying to reinstall original cam after putting new cam gear on (have kept existing crank gear)

It feels as though it is the lip of the posts catching on edge of bearings or that the very rear post won't sit in the bearing but now i'm thinking that the gears look to be meshing poorly.

Anyone have any tips?

I've read on old posts on other forums that it's ok to retain old crank gear but i'm having an absolute hell of a time.
    I am supporting cam with my finger through oil pump hole and jiggling and turning shaft. I think I've spent well over an hour with no success.

anyone?
    BQZ

Did you use an alloy cam gear?

If so a slight chamfering of the edges of the teeth is a good idea and a liberal application of oil is essential.

If you are reinstalling a cam with a new fibre gear I suggest stopping immediately and getting an alloy one.

There is no need to change the crank gear in either case if it isn't damaged.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

I haven't done a 6 one, only 8s (but imagine same problem applies), but from what I understand of your problem you need to be able to hold the cam level so it goes smoothly in (very tight through bearings). To get proper control (ie be able to lift nose in far end of engine) you either need the Holden special tool, or on the 8s that I've done, I use about a foot long bolt that fits in the hole at the end of the cam (end you're holding onto) and you'll be able to hold the cam horizontal with it and get better control to fit it through. Also take dissy out if you've got that in (6 runs off cam doesn't it?) the gears may be impeding it

yeah ive used alloy gear Rob. i gave it an ever so light tap with a rubber mallet and you could see the teeth on cam gear sheer slightly on the crank gear so meshing I reckon is an issue. i like the idea of oil or grease which i haven't tried yet on the cam gear. it feels like carriers are just sitting in bearings but I don't want to force it as I can't be sure

dizzy, oil and fuel pump are out. i'm at my wits end. it was supposed to be a cake walk and has turned into a real saga
    BQZ

OK. If you haven't already, pull the cam out and lube the heck out of the gears.

I know the next thing is obvious, but you do have all the lifters out right?

Oil pump gear will be the problem if it's still in too, so if the oil pump is still on the block..... pull it off!
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Is it possible to put the cam gear on after the cam is in?

tried again but levering rear of cam with screwdriver through oil pump hole... no cigar. I lubed gear. no cigar. I honestly don't know what the hell is going on. everything is out.

would have to be pretty gutsy to smash cam gear on while cam is in. Would not be worth the risk i don;t think. I really wanna hit this pile of shit with a hammer!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I can feel journals lining up with bearings and then as soon as cam gear starts to mesh with crank gear it just stops dead. the fact that cam stops travelling inwards when it meshes may mean that journals are still not lining up though?

i might press cam gear off and then try and see how it marries up with existing crank gear. maybe I have the wrong gears.
    BQZ

I take it that you are doing this with the engine in the car. It is much easier with the engine out of the car and separated from the gearbox so you can pull the cam plug out of the back of the block. It is also much simpler with the sump off and you can get your hand in from the bottom to guide the camshaft.
    HQ Glacier White Belmont Ute
    Wanted Lanspeed accessories for Holden Grey engines, twin carb manifolds, extractors, rocker cover, 3 speed floor shift.

Don't even think about installing the cam without the gear pressed on!

This is a strange one..... it's normally not that hard. I'm starting to think you may have a badly machined gear.

If it was a new cam I'd be thinking that your old cam had undersized journals and oversized bearings in the block, but that can't be the case since you are reinstalling the same cam.

So lets just confirm....

Oil pump and distributor are out.
    Lifters are out.
    Retaining plate is between cam and gear.
    Retaining plate screws aren't sitting in the block.

If all that is done, the cam should go in.....

If you have a crank gear puller, pull it and see if the cam goes in without it in place (and also then check the cam gear/crank gear meshing out of the engine).

It's looking a lot like a bad cam gear to me...

If its the gear meshing causing the problem, what if you try turning the crank (with your 3rd and 4th hands!) when its at that last bit where its getting stuck?

Thread Information