Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
Don't even think about installing the cam without the gear pressed on!

This is a strange one..... it's normally not that hard. I'm starting to think you may have a badly machined gear.

If it was a new cam I'd be thinking that your old cam had undersized journals and oversized bearings in the block, but that can't be the case since you are reinstalling the same cam.

So lets just confirm....

Oil pump and distributor are out. YES
Lifters are out. YES
Retaining plate is between cam and gear. YES
Retaining plate screws aren't sitting in the block. YES

If all that is done, the cam should go in.....

If you have a crank gear puller, pull it and see if the cam goes in without it in place (and also then check the cam gear/crank gear meshing out of the engine). I HAVE A PULLER - DON"T KNOW IF IT'S CRANK SPECIFIC.

It's looking a lot like a bad cam gear to me...
NEW ALLOY CAM AND CRANK GEAR ARE A 'MATCHED PAIR' AND MESH PERFECTLY - PROBLEM COULD BE THAT THE NEW CRANK GEAR LOOKS NOTHING LIKE THE EXISTING OLD STEEL GEAR IN THERE

Much appreciate your input Rob. Will the same puller used for balancer be the correct puller to use for crank? I had a go at pulling crank this arvo and it felt ridiculously tight. I thought i was going to snap puller bolts so I gave up. WIll get some new high tensile bolts tomorrow and hit it again. I've read that blokes have to drill and then chisel them... even cut them with a freakin grinder. This is getting ridiculous!

please ignore caps and bold. kooked it. its late :/