Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3.55 lsd out of Tonner

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Leadfoot

3.55 lsd out of Tonner

Hi Guys, I am wondering if the diff I have would be any good for my van? I am running a 253 with aussie 4 speed and I have a one tonner that has a 3.55 lsd Salisbury, would that be a good combination? if not what would the diff be worth if I sold it to purchase a better ratio diff, and what would be the best ratio to go with my combo? cheers Mark

Not a very economical diff ratio 3.55 but very desirable to
    maybe 3.08 lsd instead would be my choice with that combo

Leadfoot
    Thanks mate, what sort of price do you think I would get for the 3.55? cheers

How long is a piece of string

- - - Updated - - -

Chuck it on gumtree for $450

Banned
    Worth more than $450 being a LSD. I would vheck if you can just change the ratio before selling it.

Mark, it depends what sort of driving you're doing. For around town 3.55 ratio would be pretty good, make the van more lively off the mark (no pun intended). But on the highway going to be doing 3500rpm + at 110km/h with standard size tyres, ie not recommended if you're on the highway a lot. Also a tonner diff is going to have a different yoke to you're van tailshaft I believe

3.36 out of a WB would be choice. 3.08 might be a bit sluggish. my bro put a 2.78 with 253 4-speed and blew the gearbox immediately. He had to slip it and rev tits to get the slug to even move. gr8 if you live in the cuntry though
    BQZ

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    3.36 out of a WB would be choice. 3.08 might be a bit sluggish. my bro put a 2.78 with 253 4-speed and blew the gearbox immediately. He had to slip it and rev tits to get the slug to even move. gr8 if you live in the cuntry though
    He used the wrong gearbox. To successfully run a 278 rear with an Aussie you need an M22, if your engine is a V8 then you swap the input shaft in the M22 for the input shaft from a V8 M15. This will give you a first gear ratio of 10.39:1 with the 2.78 diff. This combination will also give a 2100-2200 rpm cruise at 100km in 4th, comparing this with an M20 with a 3.55 diff giving a 10.83 overall ratio you can see that the M22 and 2.78 diff is a good choice as long as you don't want to be a boy racer. The beauty of this combination really comes into its own behind a 308 as the extra torque of the bigger engine masks the wide ratios and gives great take off and cruise. I am going to run a Falcon T5 with the 3.50 first gear behind my 253 with a 3.08 diff, this will give me a 10.78 first with an 1800-1900 rpm cruise at 100km with the standard 0.78 over drive.
    HQ Glacier White Belmont Ute
    Wanted Lanspeed accessories for Holden Grey engines, twin carb manifolds, extractors, rocker cover, 3 speed floor shift.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick61 View Post
    He used the wrong gearbox. To successfully run a 278 rear with an Aussie you need an M22, if your engine is a V8 then you swap the input shaft in the M22 for the input shaft from a V8 M15. This will give you a first gear ratio of 10.39:1 with the 2.78 diff. This combination will also give a 2100-2200 rpm cruise at 100km in 4th, comparing this with an M20 with a 3.55 diff giving a 10.83 overall ratio you can see that the M22 and 2.78 diff is a good choice as long as you don't want to be a boy racer. The beauty of this combination really comes into its own behind a 308 as the extra torque of the bigger engine masks the wide ratios and gives great take off and cruise. I am going to run a Falcon T5 with the 3.50 first gear behind my 253 with a 3.08 diff, this will give me a 10.78 first with an 1800-1900 rpm cruise at 100km with the standard 0.78 over drive.
    just flick the 253 for a 308 and then you can keep it all aussie with m21. the T5 a bit of a drama with tunnel, clutch, cross member and tail shaft?
    BQZ

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    just flick the 253 for a 308 and then you can keep it all aussie with m21. the T5 a bit of a drama with tunnel, clutch, cross member and tail shaft?
    The whole idea is to get away from the aussie box, the T5 in standard form will take 300hp and can be beefed up to take 500hp, the tunnel isn't a problem if you change the rear housing for a Mustang one which moves the shifter box about 50mm forward so the stick comes out the original hole. The M21 isn't a nice box to use for the street, the close ratios and high 1st gear make it a pain in the botty to use with a higher ratio diff and used with a lower ratio it has great acceleration but revs it tits off at highway speeds. The T5 coupled to a 3.08 diff has a lower 1st gear ratio than any M20 aussie/diff combo except the M20/3.55. The T5 shift is much smoother than the aussie and doesn't wear like it does either, if my ute was a genuine Sandman then it would be a different story, the work needed at the moment is not beyond me so taking it slow I'll hopefully end up with a great looking replica. I also prefer the 253 over the 308 as I have always found it to be a sweeter running motor.
    HQ Glacier White Belmont Ute
    Wanted Lanspeed accessories for Holden Grey engines, twin carb manifolds, extractors, rocker cover, 3 speed floor shift.

Thread Information