Thread: cross members

cross members

G'day

Am after some information regarding cross members. I understand that they are different depending on what box you are using - and have also heard that they are different between utes/vans and wagons/sedans even for the same style of box.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I want to run a 4 speed bolted to a 308. Which one will i need? Or more to the point which other ones can i use that will work?

Thanks

Dave

dave,ute,van and 1 tonner are the crossmenbers you need as the chassis is boxed on these and on cars it is open...
    trimatic,4 speed or 3 speed manual in v8 and 6 cylinder are the same.
    the odd ones out are turbo 400 and turbo 350..

Thanks oz - my old HJ van chassis was a 6 with column auto so i assume this cross member will bolt onto the newer hz ute chassis just fine and be able to run the 4 speed for the 308?

I dont even know what the HZ ute was before it was stripped - i only have the chassis number from which i cant even work out what year it is (77/78/79). For all i know it may already be the correct cross member.

A call to Holden was of no value and a post in the forum didnt get many bites. That will be an issue i will have to address sooner rather than later as that will determine which ADRs and EPA rules i must comply with during the rebuild to save any headaches when it gets registered in a few years time.

Just out of interest, what is the difference between t400, t350 and trimatic? Is it just evolution? What is the actual difference in the cross members, just the shape?

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by sstevo05 View Post
    Just out of interest, what is the difference between t400, t350 and trimatic? Is it just evolution? What is the actual difference in the cross members, just the shape?

Thanks for your help

Cheers

Dave
    Basically,
    T400 and T350 are US made GM Auto's....... Trimatic is Australian made GM Holden Auto... You can't fit a Trimatic box in place of a T400/T350 equipped 308 without an adapter or re-drilling the mounts on the engine.... 308's are drilled differently to accept either the Trimatic or the T400/T350.

Holden made the M15, M20, M21, M22 and Trimatic to all use the same crossmember mount... they are pretty much all interchangeable on Holden 6cyl and 8cyl..... without going into it too much.....

OZ may want to expand on the differences....
    4/75 HJ XX7 Sandman Panelvan ... Persian Sand currently restoring
    7/76 HX Monaro 4dr 308 4sp... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell.. SOLD
    3/77 HX Sandman Panelvan ... Absinth Yellow and rusty as hell .. SOLD

http://www.44gpw.info/sandman-decalssmall2.jpg

Thanks absinth - so that leads into my next question - 308 blocks match the cross members in terms of interchangability? - ie. blocks are either for all aussie boxes (trimatic M21 etc) or for turbo boxes? Hence "For sale - holden 308, turbo pattern' ? You can't then stick an m21 on a turbo block without an adapter?

Cheers

Dave

crossmembers are the same for 6 and 8..ute and van
    visual appearances are...t350 has an outrigger where the gearbox mount bolts too and t 400 has its holes for the gearbox mount in a different spot to trimatic and also has bracing plates under the crossmember...if i get to it i shall take some pics as i have both t350 and t400 xmembers here at the moment..

--- Updated ---

You can't then stick an m21 on a turbo block without an adapter?

Cheers

Dave
    not without using an adaptor type bellhousing...which are available from dellows or crs/hadfield

Thread Information