Thread: Trimatic troubles

Trimatic troubles

I have a trimatic behind a 308 which for short trips (under half an hour- which is most of the time) works fine, shifts well, engages straight away. But after longer trips involving freeway speeds and when I got off freeway and come to rest at traffic lights feels like it won't take off or takes off slowly, slipping basically, then engages after maybe 5 seconds with a shudder and I'm away and shifts normal up to 2nd and 3rd without any noticeable slipping.

I checked the oil level of course, but not sure if I've got it right. It was showing solid fluid to the "add" mark and then fluid on side half of the stick to the "full" mark. I presumed it really was only at the "add" level so added half a litre, but symptoms still the same if not worse (although worse after a longer drive than its done before). Now oil is showing solid to "Full' on the dipstick and on the side half of the stick another inch above Full.

Wondering whether I've now overfilled it and I'm aerating the fluid at speed? or is it a torque converter on the way out? or something else?

Does it take a while (up to but no greater than 5 seconds) to engage reverse?

Does it make any noise while (as you put it) slipping?

Are you checking the oil level with the engine hot, running and in P or N?

How long has it been since you've had the pan off and changed the filter? Were the bands adjusted properly or just 'nipped up'?

Does the box shudder as you try and drive away or as the drive takes up (re-engaging gear)? This is a bit of a biggy as it can indicate if the person who built the box built it to suit a V8 or 6 (wrong spring in the band servo).

What you've mentioned could be something simple (blocked filter or low level or even just the wrong type of fluid) or a much larger issue (shagged oil pump or second gear clutch pack stuck on) or similar.

I'd suggest getting it a tranny shop and show them exactly what it is doing.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Thanks for your reply Taily.

I don't think that reverse is affected, but that said I can't now be sure I actually tested it at the time it was playing up.

Makes a little whine as I slowly get under way (slipping) then a shudder (on most occasions) and then I feel it engage and power goes through as normal.

Yes, checking Oil when hot and idling in Park.

Box had been rebuilt about 2 years ago (not by me). I've had it a year. Early on had a leak at front (pump) seal and converter was found to have defect on seal surface so put another second hand one in. Put new oil in it then but no filter change.

Yes, will probably have to take it to a shop to get an opinion. Just wondering if anyone else has had similar and recalls what the issue was.

Sounds like Taily has it sussed out.

I have had similar issues in the past and almost every time it's the filter is clogged.

If you know a good transmission shop, then I suggest a visit. If not, a filter kit isn't that dear and after you drop the pan you'll have a pretty good idea what the problem is by the sludge in the pan (or not). Either way you will be heading in the right direction.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    Sounds like Taily has it sussed out.

I have had similar issues in the past and almost every time it's the filter is clogged.

If you know a good transmission shop, then I suggest a visit. If not, a filter kit isn't that dear and after you drop the pan you'll have a pretty good idea what the problem is by the sludge in the pan (or not). Either way you will be heading in the right direction.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
    Waiting for filter kit to come in, will drop pan then and fingers crossed that's all that's wrong.

Thread Information