Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine surge

Engine surge

Hi all, not sure if anyone can help, i took my van for a run yesterday and recently i have noticed it surging at cruise speed or slowing down that it is surging or as we say ( pig rooting ) it has been getting worse to the point where i have to put it in neutral when slowing down at lights or light traffic,it is a 308 with standard quadrajet carb, any thoughts !!!!

Sounds like its buggered, better get rid of it. I will take it off your hands if you like

Could be sucking air at the carby. Check the throttle shaft for play, could be getting in there

cheers
    Max

I also agree you would be better off giving it to me to sort out ,mate if standard ignition I would start a points they can burn out guickly especially if you have left the key on at some stage and the points happened closed .After that the list grows to coil ,plugs ,plug leads and carby
    HZ jasmine yellow sandman van
    HZ Madeira red sandman van (now sold to bigrob)
    HX mandarin red sandman ute
    HZ malachite green sandman van
    Married to Jennie285

does it play up at idle? I had one that would only play up when hot. ended up being distributor module or earthing issue, can't remember.

the first thing i would do is check points (assuming not elec ignition) and then replace distributor with a spare. then do carby. process of elimination
    BQZ

Flooding carby perhaps from needle not shutting off flow and in a quaddie will fill up bowl and spill into primaries. Should be able to detect at idle with cleaner off

Cruiser
    I had a similar problem about 12 months ago, it was dirty old fuel.

Put on a new filter and cleaned out the carb (Holley) and it's been good since.

Hope yours is an easy fix too.

Cheers

Thanks for all the feedback. Especially the one to get rid of it �� ill check it all out. Thanks guys

Pretty much all of the above can cause your problem. It wont be a big issue, just a bit of a trial and error thing. A couple of hours and you'll have it sorted.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Start with the basics - timing/dizzy (points/condensor pitted or shagged) module got the right heat sink paste under it, basic condition of cap/rotor/leads, fuel - does it idle properly or is there fuel pouring down the primaries at idle a has the carby been off it recently as some folks aren't to clued up on both installing the float or setting its level, is the fuel much older than a couple of months, does it have a vac leak base of the carby sucking air, is the manifold tight, vac tree or hose leaking?

Something there should point towards the issue. I'm suspecting fuel itself if it has been a while since you last filled it.
    Nunc est bibendum...

Thread Information