Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Remove key barrel from HX top Tailgate

Learner Driver

Question How to Remove key barrel from HX top Tailgate

Look for some help I have had my rear door lock at the locksmith for a few days now and they are having trouble locating the hole under the chrome to remove the key barrel do any of the members no where to look or the location.

These things are becoming the impossible to find and (if you do) fix item in panel van restoration.

The locks are almost always worn out and able to be opened with a screwdriver and most locksmiths wont touch them.

This should be a high priority on Rare Spares list of future products.... I have heard that there is a chance they will be doing them, fingers crossed!

And sorry, no.... I have no idea where the lock pin is located.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Leadfoot
    P1070001.jpg Hopefully this will explain where the pin is located to remove the barrel & keys. often they are rusted over. We make the ferrule that goes around the shaft. The cost of making new handles was very expensive and included having to make many parts due to the way the handle works. Finding a capable manufacturer was also an issue.

Learner Driver
    Thanks for that this will be big help now I can finish the back door.

Quote Originally Posted by gregbark View Post
    P1070001.jpg Hopefully this will explain where the pin is located to remove the barrel & keys. often they are rusted over. We make the ferrule that goes around the shaft. The cost of making new handles was very expensive and included having to make many parts due to the way the handle works. Finding a capable manufacturer was also an issue.
    So do you mean you don't have future plans on reproducing them Greg?
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Leadfoot
    We continually review all products and it depends on finding a suitable supplier. We attend trade shows globally, scan web sites and receive offers from potential suppliers as well as use our existing ones. When we find one we often have a number of items for them to consider. This handle involves finding a lock maker, die caster, chrome plater and someone to machine the solid end. So you can see it is not a straight forward product.

You got the best chrome plater in Australia in Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by gregbark View Post
    We continually review all products and it depends on finding a suitable supplier. We attend trade shows globally, scan web sites and receive offers from potential suppliers as well as use our existing ones. When we find one we often have a number of items for them to consider. This handle involves finding a lock maker, die caster, chrome plater and someone to machine the solid end. So you can see it is not a straight forward product.
    Sure, I can't imagine them being cheap to produce, but the time is here to do them. With the current surge in interest and restoration of vans it would be the right time to see a return for making them. There just aren't any good ones out there and rebuilding them is very difficult, so new ones will fly out the door.... I paid $300.00 for a NOS one 2 years ago and was happy to pay it.

Learner Driver
    Do you knock the pin out with a punch?

well l took my mine to locksmith barrel was shot had it fixed cost $75 works a treat

Thread Information