Thread: HQ Brakes onto HD/HR

HQ Brakes onto HD/HR

Hi All,
    My HD Prem is a factory disc brake car, saying that the brakes are ok.....not fantastic though.

My main issue is rim/tyre choice or lack of choice. I'd like to update the wheels to something like Convo Pro's or similar on a 15" diam rim.

I found a fair bit of info on the net regarding this, the HQ-WB upgrade seems pretty common on the HD-HR front end.
    My question is, has anyone on here done it personally? The information I've found is inconclusive, for example some guy's say that its a simple bolt on install but the calipers will foul on full lock.

Appreciate any feedback, sorry if the post is in the wrong area.
    Gaz.

I did it years ago on a Torana and from memory it was pretty simple. A HR and Torana front end were almost identical so it shouldn't be a problem. I think we just changed the stub axles and everything bolted up. I've done so many different swaps I can't remember for sure, but I recall swapping left for right too, but that may have been on something else.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

You can get Convo Pros in 15s in Torana stud pattern its the same as early Holdens HR HD EH etc etc
    no need to upgrade brakes unless you want to of course

HQ-HZ-WB stubs can be used on HD-HR front ends no problems. you still use the original HD-R steering arms so the steering is the same, but not all calipers will fit. I think you have to use either HZ or WB girlock calipers. A lot of hot rods built in 70s & 80s used HR X members with HQ stubs and are still running around. Hope this helps

cheers
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    You can get Convo Pros in 15s in Torana stud pattern its the same as early Holdens HR HD EH etc etc
    no need to upgrade brakes unless you want to of course
    Yeah, that's easy. And a good brake re-pad/shoe on the original brakes would do the job.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Thread Information