Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adventures in My Van

Quote Originally Posted by Vombil View Post
    ^^ and i thought i was running the gauntlet driving from margies to perth in a Wb ute that had mismatched coloured panels, rusty floor ventilation, a broken screen, bald tyres and overheating tendencies... didn't yield a story

nullabor is a pretty lonely place. great story, great pics
    Yeah it did.... I just pictured that trip (never done it) and the ute. That's a story.....
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

Learner Driver
    [QUOTE=juzanobody;100818]Great Idea goat, you deserved to start it, not sure if i should repost the others from the intro thread most of my photos are over east, probably moth or termite eaten, I only kept a few with me, mainly with the dutch backpacker, for obvious reasons!!
    Long story short, Had the 4 speed swapped for a th350 in Perth while I was bush, they had it for 3 weeks, must have started it the day before pickup, got dropped off early morn at the workshop, waited all day, they took it for a test drive, it came back towed, after much discussion & suggestions I slept in the van overnight in their yard, more bullswool the next day, but I had to drive over east to get my kids for christmas, left in a half finished job, gearbox spreads itself over the road, no body stops for the scruffy guy in the van, ask a truckie on the radio could he ask if someone from the Nullarbor roadhouse could come get me, turns out he's from my home town, unhooks his 2 trailers while i unhook my tailshaft, he comes back, tows me bobtail back to this trailers, I hook onto the trailers while he does the same then off we go 130 odd kays at 120kph, looking up at the fridgey doors, very short tow cable, get to the roadhouse, happens to be a drop deck with a Lj torana on it, the owner is wearing glasses with only 1 lens, he unhooks his truck to chain the van up & we have much more adventure on the way to the S.A / VIC border where my brother in law towing it the rest of the way, get's into a huge tank slapper down a hill, cars coming the other way going bush because we were using both lanes, somehow kept it all on the wheels, got it home, because I had it on the other side of the country, no warranty Sucker

Great story Juzanobody,
    I can relate to all that!!
    Just a quick question to picture 1. Did you steal from my wardrobe. Stubbies Truckers T (wife beater) and Japanese work boots.
    I have to have the longer leg ones now so the bag of lollies is not on show without my knowledge.

That's an adventure!
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

[QUOTE=juzanobody;100818]most of my photos are over east, probably moth or termite eaten, I only kept a few with me, mainly with the dutch backpacker, for obvious reasons!!
    QUOTE]

So where are the photos of the Dutch Backpacker..??
    Paddy

Sandman...Just Drive It.!

adventures in my van & ute

Red 76, standard uniform of my/our generation, I have switched to ruggers now as they don't seem to get that permanent leg flare of stubbies, still shorts though, not those half jeans things. I think my lollies have still got a bit of charm & I've decided to grow old disgracefully anyway.

Paddy there's a few photos with my posts on the '' introduce yourself thread" but I don't want to get a reaming from the mods, so I think you'll be disappointed bud.

So, I get the auto fixed, after working that off, the Top end's calling again, find the ute, sell the van (another mistake) make some changes & head north to a job in the Vic river area, bit of time to kill, detour to Normanton/Karumba QLD, help a bloke on the side of the road, turns out he owns a joint with a pork problem. Help him with that for longer than I should have then back to the Territory for a job that turns out has a donkey & barra problem I can help with also, which is what I was doing the day I rushed out to secret spot 75 & dove down into the creek with the twin thermo's on which caused the 308's spark to go out, with the water flowing in over the doors i cranked it forwards on the starter until the Batteries gave up & slowed the water, took the photo and the rest of the gear up high on the bank & spent the rest of the day winching it out by hand using the roo jack, snatch strap & a very stretchy piece of that blue & yella telstra rope. Roo jack- swim chock ute with rock-swim re jig jack & repeat. 15kay night walk back to the station, clear skies so hopefully it would still be there in the morning, drove back out & towed it around till it started & drove back through the creek without the fans, much easier, the barra could wait, had the ute for another 4 years, no dramas

(3) high n low.jpgmods.jpggot 'em.jpgpork problem.jpg(4) turn your thermo fans off.jpgBarra.jpgcroc.JPG
    Last edited by juzanobody; 19-12-2015 at 12:26 AM.

I tell you what mate that would have been great days bloody livin the dream
    good on ya

Quote Originally Posted by juzanobody View Post
    Paddy there's a few photos with my posts on the '' introduce yourself thread" but I don't want to get a reaming from the mods, so I think you'll be disappointed bud.
    Saw the added photo. Must say, she wore the bikini of the day marginally better than you sported the button-down-flap-front-pocket-stubbies that were the standard back then.
    Just sayin'..!
    Paddy

Sandman...Just Drive It.!

Just had a few days on Kangaroo Island. We left on Saturday and the car started making what I thought was a knocking noise right out of the driveway, as we headed up the hill of the southern expressway (a road that now flows in two directions because we're fancy down in SA) this turned into a rather loud knocking. The girl looked at me and asked if we should pull over, I thought back to this thread and remembered there was no adventure without breakdowns so pushed down on the right foot and headed to the ferry.

Anyway, here are a few photos.
    IMG_5047.JPG
    IMG_5065.jpg
    IMG_5166.JPG
    IMG_5058.JPG
    P1030301.JPG

Oh, that knocking. On the last night I finally did some investigating (should have done that 5 days earlier).... finger tight exhaust manifold bolts all round. I'll swap some new gaskets in today and we'll be all set for the next adventure.

old holdens + goat = guarenteed mechanical issues
    BQZ

DSC03616.JPGDSC03610 (2).jpgThree vans out last Wednesday on my Classic Car Club's run to Bodalla. We also had a few cool oldies there, an FC and an HT Premier.

But the big hit was the 3 vans.... it felt so much like being back in the 70's, following one and having another in the rear view mirror. Everywhere we went we had people staring and pointing.

Thread Information