Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: BigRobs HZ Sandman....

Agreed, ride high is on the money now....nicely done

Thanks. It was just a touch high for me so I gave it my usual treatment. I drove it Wednesday and there was no real difference to handling or ride quality so I'm happy with how it is now. Being in the country with some pretty awful roads I can't have it down in the weeds and wouldn't do it to such an original van anyway. I still have heaps of ground clearance.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

DSC03485 (2).jpgPhoto shoot at JJs 25 11 2015.JPGDSC03480.JPGDSC03484.JPGFinally a sunny day for our Wednesday club run. This one to JJ's at The Moorings for a Bacon and egg roll and a coffee for $8.00! They had a professional photographer there to take some pics and it turned out he was an old Sandman owner from the 70's. We took the van around the back of the Restaurant to the 1st Tee of the golf course and he took a squillion shots. I followed him around with my crappy little camera and took a few too....
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

wow, very tuff stance now!
    BQZ

STILL looks very tidy.
    BO6 = Rarer then a Sandman

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    DSC03485 (2).jpgPhoto shoot at JJs 25 11 2015.JPGDSC03480.JPGDSC03484.JPGFinally a sunny day for our Wednesday club run. This one to JJ's at The Moorings for a Bacon and egg roll and a coffee for $8.00! They had a professional photographer there to take some pics and it turned out he was an old Sandman owner from the 70's. We took the van around the back of the Restaurant to the 1st Tee of the golf course and he took a squillion shots. I followed him around with my crappy little camera and took a few too....
    Perfect height .... What springs did u use in the front?

I always used to use Makita adjustment on my springs, now have graduated to dropped stubs, & the ride is more comfortable!

cheers
    Max

Quote Originally Posted by Valencia View Post
    Yep you got the ride height spot on it was a bit 4x4 before

- - - Updated - - -

No offence to RJB
    None taken we left it all original
    HZ Jasmine Yellow Windowless Sandman, now being driven everywhere and is finished!
    HZ Madeira Red Windowless sandman now Sold to Bigrob
    HX Mandarin Red Sandman Ute finished, and club registered
    1979 HZ malachite windowless van with 308 5spd, all chromed up and shiny finished and named "The Player"
    Married to RodneyHZ253

Quote Originally Posted by Gm nut View Post
    Perfect height .... What springs did u use in the front?
    Standard V8 springs with a coil and a half removed. If Chip Foose can cut springs on Overhaulin to get the ride height perfect then I don't see a problem with me doing it. The ride is no different to before, the original springs are in a box and can be refitted if required.

I don't think I've ever had a car that was standard height and most I have lowered by cutting the springs and I've never had an issue with it. If I was going to radically drop a car I would fit lowered springs to avoid coil bind, but I don't drop them that much and this one will definitely never be going any lower.

Just in case anyone is interested, one and a half coils cut from a standard V8 front spring is two inches lower. Combine that with two inch lowering blocks at the rear and you get a nice height that will not attract unwanted attention and won't scrape over speed humps or on steep driveways.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Rob View Post
    Standard V8 springs with a coil and a half removed. If Chip Foose can cut springs on Overhaulin to get the ride height perfect then I don't see a problem with me doing it. The ride is no different to before, the original springs are in a box and can be refitted if required.

I don't think I've ever had a car that was standard height and most I have lowered by cutting the springs and I've never had an issue with it. If I was going to radically drop a car I would fit lowered springs to avoid coil bind, but I don't drop them that much and this one will definitely never be going any lower.

Just in case anyone is interested, one and a half coils cut from a standard V8 front spring is two inches lower. Combine that with two inch lowering blocks at the rear and you get a nice height that will not attract unwanted attention and won't scrape over speed humps or on steep driveways.
    Thanks was going to ask you how much you took out of those springs,will be doing the same to the ute,your van has nice stance now.
    Cheers
    Help me

Thread Information