Thread: Help my steering wheel won't go all the way 'home'

Help my steering wheel won't go all the way 'home'

Last job before rego!! I am having trouble getting my steering wheel to go all the way on. It seems to stop about 1/8" short of the column cover. It seems that the spring that it bolts against is fully compressed, this results in 2 things happening, firstly it breaks the indicator cancelling thingy and if it doesn't go all the way home the indicators don't cancel. the steering wheel goes all the way if that cancelling thingy is removed. the steering wheel is off an LJ GTR [I assume as it had a GTR centre bit. Any ideas

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone in the Perth area got a std steering wheel I could borrow [suit an HX]?

Hard to diagnose without being there. Steering wheel bosses are all the same as far as I know from LJ Torana/HQ all the way through WB so I don't think the wheel is the problem. Are you sure the indicator mechanism is installed properly? If you remove the spring does the wheel fit OK and indicators cancel? If so, remove the spring for the moment and possibly shorten it in the future.

Good luck hope it works out for you.
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

thanks Bob will try that 1st thing when I get home from work tomorrow. I take it that spring will pull out. cheers

Banned
    Steering column might be partly collapsed.

Banned

ive got a steering wheel you can borrow Spike but I also think the coloum could be partly collapsed ive got some you can measure the length and compare it to yours

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    great link, thanks wbute

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by XX7SANDMN View Post
    ive got a steering wheel you can borrow Spike but I also think the coloum could be partly collapsed ive got some you can measure the length and compare it to yours
    thanks xx7, a little more investigating to do, will keep you in mind

Learner Driver
    Hi, I'm Rob. Check the horn contact ring. There are three different types, white, black and orange. The white one is the 'standard' one, the black one is for power steering, (the two little 'bars' that cancel the indicators are spaced differently), and the orange one I belive is a different 'depth', so that might be your problem.

I have removed the spring and circlip and the wheel goes on ok, I will re install the spring and make sure that the circlip is seated properly [ it is possible that it wasn't ]. yes the cancelling bars are spaced differently. I have purchased a new one and the bars are a little closer together than the white one that was a 'freebie' [ and I broke! ]

Thread Information