Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indicator , cancelling

Indicator , cancelling

my indicators sometimes cancel and sometimes don't , is this the cause?

SAM_4843.JPG , can't seem to find one of these at Kingswood Country

Yep, that'll be your problem.

That's it for sure...
    Vans.... This is the 2nd time round the block, 40 years later! talk about turning back the clock!

ok that's good to know that's the problem but does anyone know if it is available as a spare part ?

They're the same across all the HQ-WB wheels as far as I know, as well as LJ-UC Torana. Not sure about early Commodore or pre LJ/HQ.

Wouldn't think it would be too hard to find one.

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by V8VAN View Post
    They're the same across all the HQ-WB wheels as far as I know, as well as LJ-UC Torana. Not sure about early Commodore or pre LJ/HQ.
    No, they are not all the same. There are several different versions, depending on the type of steering. The distance between the 2 ridges is varied because the number of turns lock to lock is different between manual & power steering. The Toranas which have R & P steering are different again & Commodores vary for manual & p/steer also. AFAIK they were still used up to VL.

They are all interchangeable & will still work, but it gets annoying if you have the wrong type. It will either cancel too soon or not at all, if you haven't turned very far.

Dr Terry

No worries, that's my thing I've learned today. I've swapped out various broken ones with whichever ones I've had handy with no dramas. Maybe I just got lucky lol.

Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by V8VAN View Post
    No worries, that's my thing I've learned today. I've swapped out various broken ones with whichever ones I've had handy with no dramas. Maybe I just got lucky lol.
    Yeah, as I said they will all interchange & work, but sometimes you can get caught.

I first found this out when I converted an HX Kingswood to power steer for a very fussy customer, many years ago.

We finished the job, had it wheel aligned & gave it back. It drove superbly.

Over the next few weeks, he came in several times telling us how much better the car felt, but also saying that the blinkers wouldn't cancel "sometimes".

We test drove it each time & couldn't fault it & put it down to the customer's imagination, until he became insistent & took me for a test drive to demonstrate the problem.

There was a particular corner not far from our workshop which wasn't a full 90 degree turn, probably more like a 70 degree turn. He could replicate the fault time & time again on this corner.

In the end we found by taking a similar model around the same corner, that it was because the steering wasn't turning far enough to reach the blinker cancelling ridge. What the customer & I hadn't noticed was how much less steering wheel turn was now necessary to round the average corner. It was so much less that it affected the blinker cancel.

I checked the parts book & found the one off a power steering car was a different part number. We fitted it & the problem was solved.

On my next wrecker crawl, I checked out all types of steering wheels (off Toranas, Commodores, Kingswoods & Statesmans etc.) & found at least 4 different gap sizes. I've never had the time to go thru all the parts catalogues to check out which was which. I'm sure there would be some cross-over.

Dr Terry

P Plater
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike View Post
    ok that's good to know that's the problem but does anyone know if it is available as a spare part ?

Hi Spike, I can get you a good used one, however you will have to pay for part and postage from Vic. let me know and I will get a price for you.

Thanks for all the info, bobsmith I will take you up on that offer, can you pm me with cost and your bank detail, I have pwr steer fitted to the HX but would think that any one would do to pass rego inspection, cheers

Thread Information