Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ride Heights & Suspension pics please

Ride Heights & Suspension pics please

Hi Guys,
    I'm looking to change the rear spings in the van and looking to see what other people have done with their vans.

My current set up is as follows:
    Front end Pedders superlow v8 springs with 15x6 rims with 205/65 tyres
    Top of wheel arch to ground 680mm

Rear Setup
    Looks to be tonner springs with 50mm lowering blocks
    15x8 rims with 255/60 tyres
    Top of wheel arch to ground 730mm

So a coulple of questions, whats the difference in ride height between tonner and standard springs and what are other peoples experiances with lowering their vans. Pics would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys

I've played around with leaf springs on my sandman trailer recently.....one tonner springs are much heavier and have a curvier profile. It left my trailer sitting really high. Like 4inches from top of the tyre to the wheel arch. i got normal van springs and it made a dramatic difference. I dont like the idea of lowering blocks, and i think in most states theyre actually illegal. You'd be much safer in getting van springs reset to suit the stance you want your van to have. Im sure a few guys here have done that already and might be able to help you out with a rough price of what it cost them

Banned
    image.jpg
    This has one tonner springs on the back. I swapped the standard ones. Made no difference to the ride height. Made it ride harder though. They have extra leaves in them.
    So I would imagine if they increased the ride height they may have been re-set or the trailer isn't heavy enough to settle them to where they are meant to be.

Did it make any difference to its cornering I have driven quite a few wb's some handle and corner very well and others are very taily and not good to drive ,and have always wondered if that was the difference one of the wb's I had was like a rock on the road and the other like a wet sponge the good one was a country pack

Banned
    Yep stiffened it up. Heavy duty coils in the front too though. As for the difference in WB to WB it may be the rear springs but having the steering set up correctly plays s big part. I put power steering on mine and to be honest it's not as sharp in the steering as it was manual. I havnt driven it for a while so memory and reality could be playing tricks lol.

Quote Originally Posted by wbute View Post
    image.jpg
    So I would imagine if they increased the ride height they may have been re-set or the trailer isn't heavy enough to settle them to where they are meant to be.
    Yeah the tonner springs had extra leaves in them.....but from bush to bush, they were a different length. Likely the van springs have been reset at some point

Last edited by Maysik; 06-10-2015 at 01:36 PM. Reason: More

maysik - that is so low at the front.

best old holden ute ive driven was HJ with 350. had $2500 worth of front suspension work alone. larger sway bar etc etc etc. sat low at front and high at rear. it was epic through corners!
    2nd best was HZ (so rts) 6cyl with 185/75 Bridgestones all round, manual steering. Original front coil springs but had shocks done all round at some point and may have had revised leafs in the rear as it had a fu$5 off huge tow bar. Standard ride height. it cornered better than some VS commdore utes ive driven.
    BQZ

Cheers for the tips guys. Maysik that's almost how my van is currently sitting. I have redone all bushings and shocks in the front and rear (pedders sports ryders) and have heavy duty front sway bar. Goat also suggested doing the rear as well. Still haven't driven the van yet so I'm sure the front will settle down a bit too. From done digging through Google, it looks as though tonner and standard springs have about 50mm difference.

King springs offer a super low spring that are about 50mm below standard. So I'm thinking go with a set of them and get rid of the blocks. Then it'll be at least 50mm lower in the rear and legal. Would be a good start.

Mine are,
    Top of wheel arch to ground:front 570mm
    Top of wheel arch to ground:rear. 633mm.

I just have 14's on though.

Thread Information