Thread: HQ Wiring loom differences

HQ Wiring loom differences

Hi guys
    I need to know if there is a difference between the v8 wiring loom and 6cyl wiring loom off of an HQ?
    I need to replace bits/potentially all of the wiring loom in the front end of my van. Potentially both the engine and the lights looms.
    I have access to an HQ ute that I can raid the looms out of, but it's a 6, and the van is an 8...will the 6cyl loom be ok? Whats the difference if any?
    Thanks

my guess is they will both do the job. the main loom should separate from the engine harness. really you may just need the v8 engine harness? (this the case in hx hz wb) i don;t know if there is provision for sports cluster in a standard 6 banger loom ie RPM . the bigger differences will be in trans config. ie auto column (at least on later models) has a elec kickdown and plugs that fit into the column so it won't start in gear etc.

my advice is to take the lot out of the donor. you never know what and when you may need something. I just took a loom out of WB and transferred into another of same year to find that the harness has a different plug at the a-pillar where it joins the rear section! Very cheesed off.
    BQZ

It is a different engine harness. Ive done a few 6cyl to V8 swaps in HQs years ago, (mostly utes & tonners) & as far as I can remember the wires to the alternator & temp sender had to have a bit extra added to them. Im sure it wasn't a big job, but back then it wasn't a resto job, just to put the V8 in, so didn't worry about originality. It was the sort of thing you went home after work on a Friday in a 6 & by Saturday nite or sunday morning you would be driving a V8 4speed (with no exhaust) & all done with a trolley jack & endless chain & lots of beer.... so the wiring wasn't much of a problem

cheers
    Max

Recently put an 8 in place of 6 in my HQ prem, only wires than needed extending were to the Oil pressure sender and temp sender.

Righto thanks guys.
    Im running separate gauges than the standard ones for oil and temp, so I guess it should be right then, and if need be just lengthen some bits.
    Thanks for the help.

Thread Information